Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Cancer Rates in September 11 Responders Rising

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Ulcer friendly foods?

Talk about Stomach Cancer diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Ulcer friendly foods?

Postby jonni » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:47 pm

ok, i dont tolerate acidic foods well and my sister has ulcers, i am wondering what i might eat? i dont know if it is ulcers or not but i obviously dont tolerate some foods well. I have been having issues after i eat, i get really sick to my stomach and i sometimes have very mild heart burn. I was wondering what foods might me and my sister want to try, because i dont want to eat chicken for every meal every day. Chicken is a very good thing we can eat but honestly you get sick of it. I just really would like some advice on what to eat. Thanks!- Emily
jonni

Ulcer friendly foods?

Postby adamko » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:50 pm

ok, i dont tolerate acidic foods well and my sister has ulcers, i am wondering what i might eat? i dont know if it is ulcers or not but i obviously dont tolerate some foods well. I have been having issues after i eat, i get really sick to my stomach and i sometimes have very mild heart burn. I was wondering what foods might me and my sister want to try, because i dont want to eat chicken for every meal every day. Chicken is a very good thing we can eat but honestly you get sick of it. I just really would like some advice on what to eat. Thanks!- Emily
What to Eat When You Have an Ulcer. You need to be very careful on what to eat when you have an ulcer, so as not to aggravate this condition.

Foods to Eat When You Have a Stomach Ulcer

Generally, doctors advice the patient to follow certain stomach ulcer diet restrictions to minimize the pain and discomfort caused due to this disorder. Here is a list of what you can eat when you have a stomach ulcer.

* Bagels
* Barley
* Cereals
* Crackers
* Dinner rolls
* English muffins
* French toast
* Low fat pancakes
* Bran flakes
* Oatmeal
* Noodles
* Pasta
* Pita breads
* Waffles
* Whole wheat bread
* Cabbage
* Cabbage juice
* Potatoes, mashed or baked
* Celery
* Kale
* Salad greens
* Apples
* Bananas
* Berries
* Cranberries
* Grapes
* Kiwi
* Melons
* Peaches
* Pears
* Plums
* Wood apples
* Milk
* Legumes
* Beans
* Soy products
* Tofu
* Lean meat
* Poultry
* Seafood
=====================================
Foods to Avoid When You Have a Stomach Ulcer
Even though you now know what to eat when you have an ulcer, being aware of the foods to avoid with ulcers is an added advantage. Not including them will be helpful as these foods can worsen the condition.

* Chocolate and other cocoa products
* Citrus fruits like lemons, oranges, grapefruit
* Tomatoes
* Onions
* Condiments like nutmeg, cinnamon, mustard, cloves etc.
* Garlic, ginger and other spices
* Pickled vegetables
* Junk foods like potato chips, fries and other fried foods
* Peppermint
* Foods that induce bloating and gas like Brussels sprouts, bell peppers, sauerkraut, cauliflower, broccoli etc.

Some Important Pointers Regarding Ulcers

Ulcers can be quite a painful affair, so proper precautions must be exercised so as not to aggravate them. Here are some things that you need to follow if you also have an ulcer complaint.

* Eat small, regular meals instead of having larger meals. Smaller meals can be easily digested, without putting too much strain on the stomach.
* Foods containing flavonoids and probiotics like green teas, yogurt etc have a soothing effect on the ulcer pain. Drinking a glass of cold milk will relieve the burning sensation in the stomach and also reduce heartburn.
* Avoid oily as well as spicy foods, as these may flare up the ulcer, causing more pain and discomfort. Foods containing chilies, chili powder, black and red pepper, etc tend to irritate the inner lining of the stomach and aggravate the condition.
* Caffeine, alcohol and carbonated drinks are also a strict no-no if you are having a stomach ulcer. These drinks increase the acidity levels in the stomach and also intensity of pain.
* Nicotine can also exacerbate the ulcer and even cause bleeding. So smoking should be completely stopped to avoid this complication.
* Modifying the lifestyle accordingly will prove to be helpful in treating this condition successfully and also prevent the recurrence of ulcers and other digestive system related problems.

These food restrictions will help reduce the intensity of the ulcer and bring down the pain. Apart from food, appropriate medications and routine checkup with a health care provider can provide relief from this health disorder without any serious complications. Take care!
YI+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
adamko

Ulcer friendly foods?

Postby sampson » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:54 pm

What to Eat When You Have an Ulcer. You need to be very careful on what to eat when you have an ulcer, so as not to aggravate this condition.

Foods to Eat When You Have a Stomach Ulcer

Generally, doctors advice the patient to follow certain stomach ulcer diet restrictions to minimize the pain and discomfort caused due to this disorder. Here is a list of what you can eat when you have a stomach ulcer.

* Bagels
* Barley
* Cereals
* Crackers
* Dinner rolls
* English muffins
* French toast
* Low fat pancakes
* Bran flakes
* Oatmeal
* Noodles
* Pasta
* Pita breads
* Waffles
* Whole wheat bread
* Cabbage
* Cabbage juice
* Potatoes, mashed or baked
* Celery
* Kale
* Salad greens
* Apples
* Bananas
* Berries
* Cranberries
* Grapes
* Kiwi
* Melons
* Peaches
* Pears
* Plums
* Wood apples
* Milk
* Legumes
* Beans
* Soy products
* Tofu
* Lean meat
* Poultry
* Seafood
=====================================
Foods to Avoid When You Have a Stomach Ulcer
Even though you now know what to eat when you have an ulcer, being aware of the foods to avoid with ulcers is an added advantage. Not including them will be helpful as these foods can worsen the condition.

* Chocolate and other cocoa products
* Citrus fruits like lemons, oranges, grapefruit
* Tomatoes
* Onions
* Condiments like nutmeg, cinnamon, mustard, cloves etc.
* Garlic, ginger and other spices
* Pickled vegetables
* Junk foods like potato chips, fries and other fried foods
* Peppermint
* Foods that induce bloating and gas like Brussels sprouts, bell peppers, sauerkraut, cauliflower, broccoli etc.

Some Important Pointers Regarding Ulcers

Ulcers can be quite a painful affair, so proper precautions must be exercised so as not to aggravate them. Here are some things that you need to follow if you also have an ulcer complaint.

* Eat small, regular meals instead of having larger meals. Smaller meals can be easily digested, without putting too much strain on the stomach.
* Foods containing flavonoids and probiotics like green teas, yogurt etc have a soothing effect on the ulcer pain. Drinking a glass of cold milk will relieve the burning sensation in the stomach and also reduce heartburn.
* Avoid oily as well as spicy foods, as these may flare up the ulcer, causing more pain and discomfort. Foods containing chilies, chili powder, black and red pepper, etc tend to irritate the inner lining of the stomach and aggravate the condition.
* Caffeine, alcohol and carbonated drinks are also a strict no-no if you are having a stomach ulcer. These drinks increase the acidity levels in the stomach and also intensity of pain.
* Nicotine can also exacerbate the ulcer and even cause bleeding. So smoking should be completely stopped to avoid this complication.
* Modifying the lifestyle accordingly will prove to be helpful in treating this condition successfully and also prevent the recurrence of ulcers and other digestive system related problems.

These food restrictions will help reduce the intensity of the ulcer and bring down the pain. Apart from food, appropriate medications and routine checkup with a health care provider can provide relief from this health disorder without any serious complications. Take care!
YI+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Emily, please don't think I am palming you off, but I am just recovering from major bowel surgery so I have to watch it also. I suggest in the first instant, consult with your doctor, he may want to do some tests. Secondly consult with a Dietitian Nutritionist at your local hospital after you know your results. Like me, you two may have to rethink what and how you prepare meals.
sampson

Ulcer friendly foods?

Postby masselin » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:59 pm

I remember reading somewhere that carrots are very beneficial and can aid in the healing process of ulcers. It reduces the acid in the stomach.
masselin

Ulcer friendly foods?

Postby blayke » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:05 pm

Remember Ulcers not only are adverse to acidic things, but things with lots of seasoning, fat, and spices. It can be a relatively bland world. Doctors often suggest "The White Diet", but it is very limiting. Raw vegetables can really hurt as well as too many sweets. I dealt with an Ulcer and heartburn for three years, and here is what I learned is tasty and things that are absolutely best to avoid.

Things to try and like:

White Bread
Bagels
English Muffins
Egg Noodles
Tuna
Salmon
Shrimp
Cooked vegetables (carrots, broccoli, cabbage, beans, squash, etc.)
Lightly Cooked spinach
super lean, lightly salted and tenderized ground turkey or beef
Turkey deli meat
honey mustard
Avocados
Melons (Honeydew, Cantaloupe)
Peaches
Mangos
Bananas
Low Fat Milk
Apple Juice
mild cheddar cheese
mozzarella cheese
brie cheese
eggs (boiled, poached, or scrambled)
Green Herbs (specifically, Thyme and Basil)
Baked Potatoes
Margarine
Olive Oil

Things to absolutely avoid:
Pork of all kinds
Steaks, with the exception of filet due to it's lean nature
High-fiber products like (100% whole grain bread, raw lettuce, dark greens)
Parmesan cheese (sorry)
Grapes
Citrus fruits
Tomatoes
Chocolate(sorry again)
Real butter
Smoked meats (BBQ, Jerky)
Sharp Cheddar
Candy
Alcohol < BY ALL MEANS

Remember everything is moderation is key. And DONT over eat, and don't NOT eat.
If you feel a pain, try eating a boiled egg or a piece of white break, or a glass of milk.

If you keep up with a good diet, your body will eventually heal itself. Also, Ulcers are usually caused by stress, make sure you ladies are getting some relaxation, stop smoking, and smile more!

Good Luck
blayke

Ulcer friendly foods?

Postby wylingford34 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:06 pm

My honey suffers from stomach issues as well and I am careful of what I cook. Here is one of his favorite dishes which settles well in digestive system. You will need:

1 package (8 oz) extra lean ground turkey
1 Tbsp. Canola Oil
1 bag Steamable Frozen Broccoli Florets
1 bag Steamable Frozen White Rice
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1/2 cup Fat Free Shredded Cheddar Cheese

Spray a microwave-safe 9 x 13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray; set aside. Cut each turkey medallion into four pieces. Heat a medium non-stick skillet over Medium heat 3 minutes. Add the oil and the sliced turkey medallions and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Prepare broccoli and rice according to package directions. Combine the cooked turkey pieces, broccoli, rice, soup and fat free cheddar cheese in a large mixing bowl. Stir to mix. Place mixture in the prepared baking dish; cover with plastic wrap.
wylingford34

Return to Stomach Cancer