Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Thyroid Removal & Neck Dissection Due To Papillary Thyroid Cancer?

Learn about Thyroid Cancer

Postby Cathasach » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:18 pm

Earlier this year I had a swollen lymph node in my neck removed and tested. They determinded that I have papillary thyroid cancer which had spread to my lymph nodes in my neck.

They are suggesting that I have my entire thyroid gland removed along with a neck dissection to remove all the lymph nodes on the left side of my neck. After the surgery I am to do a short amount of iodine treatment and then will be on thyroid medication the rest of my life.

Has anyone had this (or similar) situation? If so, what was your outcome after the sugery? Has being on thyroid medication changed the way you feel?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

-Joe
Cathasach

Postby Adoniya » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:23 pm

Hi! I got your question and I have a site that you can ask others about there experiences too!

Here it is http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/jen...

there are many others here who have gone or are going through similar things.
Adoniya

Postby Andino » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:51 pm

I had my thyroid removed a year ago.
It hadn't spread to the lymph nodes but from what I understand that doesn't cause any additional problems.
The surgery itself was not bad.
I was in the hospital for 2 days afterwards.
My throat was very sore (like you have a giant lump in your throat), but other than that I felt ok.
I took some tylenol but never needed prescription pain medications.

I also had the radioactive iodine treatment 9 months later (I was pregnant so needed to wait until after the baby was born).
The only side effect from that was I was tired, but that was probably more for not being on the thyroid hormones. Honestly the low iodine diet before the treatment and isolation from people for a few days after is the worst part - but in the grand scheme of things it's hard to complain about that.

I now take 125mg of Levoxyl every day, which puts me in the hyperthyroid level. They do that to prevent any lingering thyroid cells from getting back to work.
Luckily I don't have any side effects from the medication. Many people do though so I wouldn't be surprised if you have some. For example if your levels are too low you may feel tired, and if too high you can have heart palpitations.

I see the doctor every few months to check my levels. I'll have another test dose of the RAI in a few months (a year from my last one).
Hopefully they won't find anything, but if they do I'll have another full dose of the RAI.

Cancer is a very scary thing, but so far things have gone well for me. I hope you have the same outcome.
Andino

Return to Thyroid Cancer