Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Thyroid cancer..in fear of thyroid removal!!?

Learn about Thyroid Cancer

Postby werner » Wed Apr 07, 1993 9:24 am

I had a biopsy done on the right side of my thyroid last week.I have a 3cm goiter that i had noticed about two years ago, but never got around to asking my doctor about. (stupid me). The results came back as inconclusive, meaning they don't really know if it's cancer or not. The only thing my doctor told me was that they found many hurthle cells, and that the only way for them to find out whether or not they are benign or not was thru complete removal of my thyroid.The weirdest thing to me is that im only 23 years old. This usually happens to patients 40-55. I am really nervous about the surgery and questioning whether or not its worth it. What if it isnt cancer?? I'll be stuck taking a pill the rest of my life, to replace the hormone my thyroid would make,..not even knowing if the dose of hormone they put me on will be correct for me or not. Another thing on my mind is that i recently lost 30 pounds on a diet and exercise program that i've worked so hard on..i REALLY don't want to gain this back. I've heard that once they remove your thyroid, losing weight is nearly impossible...but putting it on is a sure thing..Help!!!! Any personal experiences would be greatly appreciated!! 5 stars!!!
werner

Postby don34 » Wed May 31, 2000 6:10 am

Hi I had my thyroid removed because of cancer when I was 26 so I was young as well so it is possible and for me the surgery was worth it because I would prefer to not have cancer anywhere that alone made any risk involved worth it. True you would be put on thyroid replacement meds for life and it can take a while to find the right dose but they will its not like they give you a pill and never talk to you again, they will work with you til its right and then even after that they continue to monitor it and as far as weight loss once you are on the correct dosage weight gain and loss should be as it was before you had your thyroid removed at least that's how it is for me and even when my meds are off I don't gain a bunch of weight I just get real tired and that's how I know it time to go in and get it checked. Me personally I would go through with the surgery and the after effects its not nearly as bad as you think but that is a personal decision so best of luck to you.
don34

Postby prescott81 » Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:05 pm

my mother had her thyroids removed when she was younger, she has been taking medication since, personally I don't think that it is that dangerous. i don't know that much about it but you should go to google and type it in and get some information on it. Good luck
prescott81

Postby aldo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:24 pm

my mother had her thyroids removed when she was younger, she has been taking medication since, personally I don't think that it is that dangerous. i don't know that much about it but you should go to google and type it in and get some information on it. Good luck
sorry i'm not exactly an expert but i wouldn't worry about diet or your weight that much when it comes to something like this just focus on getting well =)
aldo

Postby doctor » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:54 pm

Recently, i got a friend who told me that his one relative is diagnosed with thyroid cancer and he is taking 2 days off from company to show his report to a reputed hospital and he met me again on 3rd day and told me that his relative died. I cannot imagine that it can be so dangerous. Prevention is cure of disease, always taking medications and follow the doctor instructions regularly without fail is the only option i think to keep it bay...
doctor

Postby amiel24 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:18 pm

I had a biopsy done on the right side of my thyroid last week.I have a 3cm goiter that i had noticed about two years ago, but never got around to asking my doctor about. (stupid me). The results came back as inconclusive, meaning they don't really know if it's cancer or not. The only thing my doctor told me was that they found many hurthle cells, and that the only way for them to find out whether or not they are benign or not was thru complete removal of my thyroid.The weirdest thing to me is that im only 23 years old. This usually happens to patients 40-55. I am really nervous about the surgery and questioning whether or not its worth it. What if it isnt cancer?? I'll be stuck taking a pill the rest of my life, to replace the hormone my thyroid would make,..not even knowing if the dose of hormone they put me on will be correct for me or not. Another thing on my mind is that i recently lost 30 pounds on a diet and exercise program that i've worked so hard on..i REALLY don't want to gain this back. I've heard that once they remove your thyroid, losing weight is nearly impossible...but putting it on is a sure thing..Help!!!! Any personal experiences would be greatly appreciated!! 5 stars!!!
amiel24

Return to Thyroid Cancer