Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Terrified Mother - Update: My Daughter's Thyroid Cyst Is Solid And Liquid. Cancer :(?

Learn about Thyroid Cancer

Terrified Mother - Update: My Daughter's Thyroid Cyst Is Solid And Liquid. Cancer :(?

Postby Lachlan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:53 am

My 17 year old daughter has a thyroid complex cyst that's 2cm.

It's very firm and kind of mobile, not too much.

We discovered it when she was 16, so who knows how long its been there for.

She also has an enlarged lymph node right under, not on, her right ear. the same side as the nodule.

i've heard nothing but bad.

the node has been there since we found the nodule - if not then longer

she does has bad dental history.

gettin that fixed as we speak

im a scared mother... only made this account to get advise.

we take her to the doctors on the 16th.

she does get ultrasounds - nothing's changed.

bloods normal.

IM FREAKIN OUT =(
Lachlan

Postby Car » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:54 am

get the girl to an endocrinologist asap. It can be cancer or not can be benign but after the blood work and a biopsy you can know for sure. also, if you found it when she was 16 why did you wait so long to go see a doctor?
Car

Postby Colum » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:57 am

You need to calm down, first. I hope you have not been freaking your daughter out. Cysts, even complex ones are typically benign findings. Lots of people have thyroid cysts and don't even know it. If there is any suspicion they will do a biopsy. Otherwise they will just follow it with ultrasound. Thyroid cancer is pretty rare, and even when it is cancer, most types of thyroid cancer are very treatable.
Colum

Postby Pietro » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:01 pm

Please don't freak out ... 99% of thyroid nodules are benign.
It is most likely goiter.
The sonogram will give you a good idea ... as well, they will probably want to do a sono fna (fine needle asperation).
I had this last year and freaked out, only to find out it was a hard nodule that was benign.
I had mine removed because it was causing me problems ... but please don't freak out.

Even if it is a thyroid cancer, it is the most easiest cancer to cure.
But most likely it is not.
Do not fret ... it will be ok.
Pietro

Postby Taylan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:06 pm

So you have been sitting on your fingers for more than a year. Great.

Would you do the following: bring the girl to an endocrinologist, have her 4 thyroid hormone levels tested bu radioisotopes . After that start medication and or surgery as indicated by the diagnosis.
Taylan

Postby Silvester » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:11 pm

There is nothing to be freaked out about, especially if it has not changed.

80% of us have at least 1 thyroid nodule.

EDIT: I thought it was obvious she has been to a doctor ? she had an ultrasound and following her every 6 months is standard care. I don?t know what these other people are thinking.

BTW if she needed a biopsy they would have told you. 10% of thyroid biopsies are wrong.
Silvester

Return to Thyroid Cancer