Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Cancer Rates in September 11 Responders Rising

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Tanning Problems ... how can I get a nice glow?

Melanoma and Skin Cancer Discussion

Postby torence » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:02 pm

Hi there,

I've just had a spray tan done. I've got horribly pale white skin, which makes me look quite ill. I'm not as white as Nicola from Girls Aloud, probably about a shade darker. Anyway, after having this spray tan done, I felt great, slimmer and prettier and a lot healthier looking. It's too expensive to maintain the tan, I can't go on sunbeds due to being too pale and the risks of cancer are quite high for my skin type. Does anyone know if any tanning pills actually work from past experience. I've heard of a new injection but I imagine this would be costly as well as slightly dodgy. I've seen Holland and Barrett tanning pills and melanonin tablets. Are these safe? I know it's vanity but being so pale, leaves me with unconfident as it makes my teeth look a horrible colour when they're actually quite white, but being pale can leave them looking pretty dire. I've tried fake tanning lotions but these really are hard to get perfect and a lot of them have left me orange! I dare not buy anything from ebay.. but have seen a few suggestions but no fool proof tablets that are set to work.

I don't want to be an oompa loompa, but I would just like to have a golden glow that makes me look healthier.

torence

Postby abiah » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:03 pm

If you are outside and active (do exercises in the full sun then you will be getting toned and tan at the same time) all the time then you will get darker. ANYTHING- pills, tanning beds, lotions, spray tans, and all of the other things people do to get tanned is REALLY BAD for you!!! it could give you cancer, skin problems, or something else in the future so i would suggest to not do anything like that. I would rather have white skin than have cancer and fight for my life. Try to be in the sun more often!
abiah

Postby jerrel82 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:11 pm

Hi, tanning pills DO NOT WORK, they are a rip off! Im quite fortunate because i get a nice golden glow from the sunbed but I only use it before I go on holiday. I also use California tan spray tan which I get done at a salon. Have you tried body lotion with a touch of self tan? Johnsons do quite a good one and so do Nivea and its very cheap. it just gives you a healthy glow and you can also get a facial one. Its a bit pale for me because I like to look tanned year through but I think this is a perfect solution for you. Because you have pale skin, its important for you to use a good spf everyday, even in winter to help prevent the signs of ageing. Good Luck with this and just keep trying different products until you are happy with the results but I would definately try Johnsons Holiday Skin. I hope this helps x

PS - Have you tried exfoliating your skin prior to self tanning? It really does make a difference and using cocoa butter helps to prolong the tan.
jerrel82

Postby manolo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:13 pm

Hi, tanning pills DO NOT WORK, they are a rip off! Im quite fortunate because i get a nice golden glow from the sunbed but I only use it before I go on holiday. I also use California tan spray tan which I get done at a salon. Have you tried body lotion with a touch of self tan? Johnsons do quite a good one and so do Nivea and its very cheap. it just gives you a healthy glow and you can also get a facial one. Its a bit pale for me because I like to look tanned year through but I think this is a perfect solution for you. Because you have pale skin, its important for you to use a good spf everyday, even in winter to help prevent the signs of ageing. Good Luck with this and just keep trying different products until you are happy with the results but I would definately try Johnsons Holiday Skin. I hope this helps x

PS - Have you tried exfoliating your skin prior to self tanning? It really does make a difference and using cocoa butter helps to prolong the tan.
Tanning pills are no good, tried them before and they did nothing for me!

It sounds like you just need to use the right fake tanner. I'm using idol tan and the tan lasts well over a week when you use it.
manolo

Return to Melanoma and Skin Cancer