Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: United Kingdom Seeing Increase in Skin Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Swollen supraclavicular lymph node above left clavicle- due to flu shot or something more sinister?

Cancer Prevention discussion, cancer prevention diets, environmental causes of Cancer and more.

Swollen supraclavicular lymph node above left clavicle- due to flu shot or something more sinister?

Postby berkeley » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:47 pm

I'm a 17 year old girl at boarding school, and as part of our yearly checkup, we get given the influenza vaccine. Last year, I had no issues with this at all. However this year (three days ago to be precise), I felt instantly woozy and weak after having the shot. I know the possible side effects of the influenza shot, but then the next morning I noticed a painful lump above my left clavicle. I'm really prone to bronchitis and sinusitis, and have recently been treated for the latter last month, so I know all about the lymph nodes swelling as they fight infection.
But I've never had this lymph node swell up ever. And along with the lymph node swelling and after researching into cancers such as lymphoma, I have realised that I do seem to have twol of these symptoms- terrible sleepiness and night sweats.
I was really worried as the lump was still there so I asked the school nurse this morning (the second day running)- she says that it can't possibly be an effect of the flu shot as the virus was dead. However, I'm not so sure I want to believe her because the other possibilities terrify me as I've spent the past three days looking up the cause of swollen supraclavicular lymph nodes. Not too pleasant.

Is there anyone here who's experienced a similar problem after the flu vaccine? Am I being way too hypochondriacal or should I get this checked out? Half term's coming up on Friday so I get to see my mother again, but she too is worried. My family does have a bit of a history with blood cancers, but never a case as young as mine.

D:
berkeley

Postby emile98 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:58 pm

Give it two weeks and see what happens. Maybe its a boil and not a lymph node.
emile98

Re: Swollen supraclavicular lymph node above left clavicle-

Postby Fenix500 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:26 pm

Hi. I had the EXACT same thing happen to me a week ago. First time ever getting a Flu Shot. Never had a problem with Lymph Node swelling. Two days after the shot my left Supraclavical Lymph Node started to swell, hasn't grown anymore three days later. Were you able to find out any more information or news from the Dr.? What is your situation now?

Any info appreciated, as I too find myself slightly concerned....
Fenix500

Postby dees4mom » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:15 pm

Hi Berkely,

Your post sound exactly the same as my reaction to a recent flu shot. I also was told by someone that this would not occur since the vaccine is not a live virus. I went to the Dr. and told him it came up the next day after my flu vaccine and he really never discussed it, just put me on an antibiotic and said to return in a month. It's been 2 wks, still there, smaller and no soreness. I was wondering what your results/status is with this and/or is there someone with some expertise that can answer this question about the vaccine?
dees4mom

Postby dees4mom » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:17 pm

Fenix500 wrote:
> Hi. I had the EXACT same thing happen to me a week ago. First time ever
> getting a Flu Shot. Never had a problem with Lymph Node swelling. Two days
> after the shot my left Supraclavical Lymph Node started to swell, hasn't
> grown anymore three days later. Were you able to find out any more
> information or news from the Dr.? What is your situation now?
>
> Any info appreciated, as I too find myself slightly concerned....

I just posted regarding this situation, I see you posted quite recently also, have you found out if this can be a side effect of the vaccine?
dees4mom

Return to Cancer Prevention