Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Survival Rate Of Leukemia?

Leukemia and blood cancer discussion.

Postby manolo » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:45 pm

I have a friend, shes 16, she was just diagnosed with Leukemia. Ive looked it up and I'm lost in numbers and statistics. Whats the latest rate for survival in Leukemia? ive heard its higher. but i keep seeing five year rates and over all rates? what does it all mean? I just wanna understand whats going on with her. Thanks.
manolo

Postby Collyer » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:46 pm

i'm so sorry to hearken to approximately your cousin. My niece became into clinically determined with ALL on the age of two. The expenditures must be slightly distinctive because of the age yet my niece became into clinically determined in Sep 06 with Pre B A.L.L. and became into given an 80% probability of survival. She must be finished together with her chemo by employing the tip of this 12 months. Pre B A.L.L. is supposedly 'the best style' of leukemia. meaning that it has a extra favorable analysis than different varieties.
Collyer

Postby Chappy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:47 pm

Im sorry about your friend:-( Be there for her and stay POSITIVE, many people with this sickness do go into remission!

Survival rates in leukemia have risen dramatically in the last 40 years with improvements in diagnosis and treatment... Also the "Survival" is strongly linked to age at diagnosis and the "type of leukemia"... Do you know what type she was dignosed with?

Leukemia can arise in either of the two main types of white blood cells-"Lymphoid or Myeloid". Leukemia that affects lymphoid cells is known as *Lymphocytic leukemia*.... and when "myeloid cells" are affected, the disease is called "Myelogenous leukemia"....

READ THIS INFO:

Each of the 2 major types of leukemia, myelogenous and lymphocytic, include both acute and chronic forms.

Acute essentially refers to a disorder of rapid onset. In the acute myelocytic leukemias, the abnormal cells grow rapidly and do not mature. Most of these immature cells tend to die rapidly. In the acute lymphocytic leukemias, growth is not as rapid as that of the myelocytic cells. Rather, the cells tend to accumulate. Common to both types of leukemia is their inability to carry out the functions of healthy white blood cells. Untreated, death occurs within weeks or a few months.

In the chronic leukemias, the onset tends to be slow, and the cells generally mature abnormally and often accumulate in various organs, often over long intervals. Their ability to fight infections and assist in repairing injured tissues is impaired. However, unlike the acute forms of leukemia, untreated, these disorders may persist for many months or, as in the chronic lymphocytic group, many years. A distinctive feature of the chronic myelocytic type is its invariable conversion, if untreated, to a more rapidly fulminating acute type, leading to rapid death.

In summary, the 4 main types of leukemia are as follows:

Acute lymphocytic leukemia

Chronic lymphocytic leukemia

Acute myelocytic leukemia

Chronic myelocytic leukemia

HERE ARE SOME LINKS THAT WILL HELP YOU UNDERSTAND http://www.webmd.com/cancer/tc/leukemia-... http://www.cancercompass.com/leukemia-in... http://www.swedish.org/13495.cfm

http://www.cancercenter.com/leukemia/leukemia-treatment.cfm
Chappy

Postby Sigfrid » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:48 pm

It would just be a guess as all the sites have different rates, sorry and sorry to hear your friend has Cancer my mam did so I know how you feel. My mam got over it and hopefully your friend will
Sigfrid

Return to Leukemia Forum