Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Statistics Question. Need Help!?

Leukemia and blood cancer discussion.

Postby custenhin » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:42 pm

Healthy adult bone marrow containers about 56.5% neutrophils. However, if this level is significantly reduced, it may be an early indicator of leukemia.
a) I have.

b) Suppose Jan had a bone marrow biopsy and p hat was observed to be 0.53. Assuming nothing is wrong (no Leukemia), what is the probability of getting a biopsy result this low or lower? Compute P(p hat equal or less than 0.53).

c) Suppose Meredith had a bone marrow biopsy and p hat was observed to be .41. Assuming nothing is wrong ( no leukemia), what is the probability of getting a biopsy result this low or lower? Compute P(p hat equal or less than 0.41).

Any help would be great!! Thanks in advance!
custenhin

Postby bedyw » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:50 pm

Healthy adult bone marrow containers about 56.5% neutrophils. However, if this level is significantly reduced, it may be an early indicator of leukemia.
a) I have.

b) Suppose Jan had a bone marrow biopsy and p hat was observed to be 0.53. Assuming nothing is wrong (no Leukemia), what is the probability of getting a biopsy result this low or lower? Compute P(p hat equal or less than 0.53).

c) Suppose Meredith had a bone marrow biopsy and p hat was observed to be .41. Assuming nothing is wrong ( no leukemia), what is the probability of getting a biopsy result this low or lower? Compute P(p hat equal or less than 0.41).

Any help would be great!! Thanks in advance!
Sorry it took me a while to give you the answer, but I was kinda busy yesterday! Here we go:

Now that we have a sample size of n=50 and a probability of p=0.565 we have a binomial distribution which we can be approximated by the normal distribution (as suggest in a) or according to the central limit theorem). For b) we can then calculate the z-score and look up the probability in a table:

z= (x-µ) / (SQRT(p*(1-p)/N)) ; SQRT = square root

(we use the standard error of the sample instead of the standard deviation)

z= (0.53-0.565)/(SQRT(0.565*0.435/50)= -0.5

Look up in table and you get P(x<0.53) = 40.85%

You do the same thing with in c):

z= (0.41-0.565)/(SQRT(0.565*0.435/50)= -2.21

Look up in table and you get P(x<0.41) = 1.35%

It seems like you have the right answer, so please write me an email if my finding are incorrect. (small rounding affects are possible)

Cheers!
bedyw

Postby leon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:00 pm

Hi -
It's 8 months later... and I'm doing this same question so I'm very happy to have found it online. What I believe accounts for the difference between the correct answer and the answers found in your break down above is that there is no continuity correction being performed.
leon

Return to Leukemia Forum