Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Can Aspirin Reduce Pancreatic Cancer Risk?

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Stage 4 pancreatic cancer life expectancy?

Pancreatic Cancer Discussions

Postby harman » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:01 am

my g-ma just got diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. it has spread to her liver but i guess those spots are small. Honestly, approximetly how much time does she have to live? She got her first set of chemo today. The doctor won’t tell us her life expectancy. She said it wouldn’t be fair to tell her. Shes 61, looks healthy, and so athletic. Shes never had any other health problems. Please only answer if u know the answers factual. Shes my heart. I don’t want to be misled.
harman

Postby obrien » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:07 am

I am sorry about your grandmother. I was lucky enough to have mine for 35 years. It has been several years now and I still miss her very much. Of course no one is able to predict when someone will die and yes, every person is an individual. There are also patient’s who surprise us and live far longer than expected.

However, I believe you asked this questin, because you want to know and you did ask to not to be misled. We have keep information on everyone diagnosed with cancer for 40 years and this is what our statistics are based on. Patients with stage 4 pancreatic cancer have a median survival of 2-6 months. Meaning 2-6 months after being diagnosed with stage 4 disease half the patients are alive. Patients with a better performance status live the longest. It appears your grandmother is in this group. At this point treatment is to prolong her life with as little symptoms as possible. Unfortunately, we already know we cannot manage or control pancratic cancer.

Live for today and enjoy every moment together.
obrien

Postby arledge » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:11 am

obvious there is still a lot of hope , because if the doc's think it is going to kill you they usually say its terminal and ask you if you have a will and to full fill any last wishes ..no doctor can tell you the time you have left ,each person is so different , some people chemo dont help , why others it dose wonders for , then some go on to remission .. it's basically a watch and see situation ..i know it sucks , believe me i know .. I have went through so much crap with my step father and grandfather , all you can do is pray for the best and prepare for the worst , and tell your grandma how much you love ever day , dont let her forget what she is fighting for and help keep her spirits high
arledge

Postby eochaidh » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:13 am

There is no hope of living more than 6 mo.s.

If it were caught real early then maybe 5 years.

You need to call MD Anderson cancer center

in Houston Texas and ask about resveratrol, turmeric

and aloe emodin .

There is and old FDA approved drug called

DCA that may help. It is being tested in Cancada.

Wake Forest University is doing tests on using

injected white blood cells to cure cancers.
eochaidh

Postby amiel24 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:18 am

While stage IV pancreatic cancer carries a dismal prognosis, you should be aware that every single cancer patient is a unique individual . . and since cancer is your own DNA which as stopped functioning properly, that means that every single cancer is unique to that person. What you will hear are statistics . . chances . . prognosis . . but they are in general terms. Your grandmother is her own unique person with her own set of strengths. Outcome for any cancer depends on the type of disease, location, stage it was found in, grade (aggressiveness of tumor), the patients age, overall health, and response to first line treatment.

You are not being misled when doctors or even your grandmother say they do not know how long she will live. The truth is that no one knows how long they will live whether they have cancer or not . .you do not know how long you will live. What is important is that she is alive right now, right this moment and that is really the only thing you can count on. Treatment may extend her life or it may not . . no one knows . . treatment might give her remission . . or not . . no one knows. What doctors are trying to do now for advanced cancer patients is to find a medication to CONTROL the cancer (much like diabetics take insulin to control their diabetes). If the doctor can find a chemo drug that your grandmother can take daily and gives her good quality of life than your gran may do better than anyone expects. Focus on today. Focus on hope. Good luck.
amiel24

Postby werner » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:26 am

I know of 4 cancer patients in my life on is my uncle who had stage 4 colon cancer with 4% chane to make it..let me tell you he was on and off chemo they were not even going to do the surgry and his daughter said if he is going to die anyway then what do i have to lose to try... the dr did surgury and my uncle has been cancer free for 10 years.

another was a dear friend of mine 's hubby. pancreatic cancer. had the whipple done.. very tchy all the time came to the point where he jus said enough and they gave him 6 mos. he livd a total of 18? but again everyone is different. cancer is tempermental it acts different with each person?

my aunt had lung cancer fought it for two years. she went in for more chemo..dr said no more we cant do this anylonger. they gave her a day to 3 mos she lived 41/2 mos.

now a dear friend 34 has colorectel back and forth on the chemo/radion.. now she has more tumors by herheart and is having surgury mon. no time frame was given to her the dr.. keeps saying she is young she has her youth in her favor?

yes make sure you tel your gram everyday you love her, do all you are capable of doing for her. suppot her , give her strength to keep goin. and od will do the rest!!!

GOOD LUCK!! I wish you and gram the best
werner

Return to Pancreatic Cancer