Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Genetic Testing For Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Stage 2 lymphoma, just how bad is it?

Discuss Lymphoma, Hodgkins Lymphoma, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma

Postby wakeley » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:24 am

a girl I know was just diagnosed, just how bad is it? And what is it exactly? I know its a type of cancer but what kind?
wakeley

Postby eochaidh » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:28 am

It is cancer of the lymphatic system, of the white blood cells. Your lymphatic system is a network of tubes and nodes that carry white blood cells. Your nodes collect bacteria and other stuff from your body. This form of cancer is most common in teens and young adults, I have no idea why. You probably already know that there are 4 stages of cancer and stage 4 is the worst. I had stage 3 and I was treated for about 7 months. Lymphoma generally isn't a very deadly cancer. Basically, if you had to choose a cancer to have it would be that one, stupid but true. There are 2 types of lymphoma: Hodgkins and Non-Hodgkins. Hodgkins lymphoma is easier to cure. In my experience the chemo extremely awful, and I had to go to the hospital as an in-patient when I got it since it was so strong. The good thing is that the treatment is shorter than other treatments. She wil probably suffer more than others, but for a much shorter time.
Don't worry about your friend, she'll get through it :)
eochaidh

Postby yasuo » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:30 am

It is cancer of the lymph nodes.
How bad it is depends on the type and her symptoms.
Chances are if she is a girl she will probably be fine as the types that most often occur in young people are most often curable.
yasuo

Return to Lymphoma