Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Soft Palate Tumor?

Discussions relating to bone cancer symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Soft Palate Tumor?

Postby dawayne39 » Wed May 04, 2016 7:48 pm

I had three wisdom teeth pulled out about a month and a half ago. Now I notice two growths in the soft palate, semi-close to where the tooth was pulled out. They are right next to each other. They feel like pieces of bone that are covered by the mucus tissue of my palate, and when I press on them, they move from side to side. They hurt when I touch them, making it painful to eat. I saw my dentist a month ago and he said it was normal…something like remnants of bone that weren’t taken out during the extraction. When I saw him there was only one bony growth sticking out, but now there are two! Does this sound like a tumor of the soft palate? I’m terrified of oral cancer, mostly because I was a one-pack-a-day smoker for four years(quit four months ago). I have all the symptoms such as pressure on my jaw, ear pain, jaw pain, sore throat, feeling something is caught in the throat, small but semi-swollen lymph node on right side of neck, and a toothache. My dentist said I have nothing to worry about and I got X-rays taken two months ago. Could oral cancer metastasize that quickly? I also have TMJ, so I don’t know if any of my symptoms should be affiliated with that. Help!
dawayne39

Soft Palate Tumor?

Postby misu40 » Wed May 04, 2016 10:05 pm

I had three wisdom teeth pulled out about a month and a half ago. Now I notice two growths in the soft palate, semi-close to where the tooth was pulled out. They are right next to each other. They feel like pieces of bone that are covered by the mucus tissue of my palate, and when I press on them, they move from side to side. They hurt when I touch them, making it painful to eat. I saw my dentist a month ago and he said it was normal…something like remnants of bone that weren’t taken out during the extraction. When I saw him there was only one bony growth sticking out, but now there are two! Does this sound like a tumor of the soft palate? I’m terrified of oral cancer, mostly because I was a one-pack-a-day smoker for four years(quit four months ago). I have all the symptoms such as pressure on my jaw, ear pain, jaw pain, sore throat, feeling something is caught in the throat, small but semi-swollen lymph node on right side of neck, and a toothache. My dentist said I have nothing to worry about and I got X-rays taken two months ago. Could oral cancer metastasize that quickly? I also have TMJ, so I don’t know if any of my symptoms should be affiliated with that. Help!
misu40

Soft Palate Tumor?

Postby Churchill » Thu May 05, 2016 2:58 pm

Alex -  I am not quite sure if you are speaking of the normal bony growths on either side of the soft palate.  These bumps almost come out like fingers and if touched can be tender.  They are called pterygoid hamulus and are normal - larger in some that others.

My suggestion to you to make sure what you are experiencing is normal and not a problem is to make an appointment with a local board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon where you live.  That doctor will best be able to answer and define what is going on.

It sounds normal, but see the surgeon and let him define what he sees.  Any more questions, I am available.
Churchill

Return to Bone Cancer