Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Single Tori On Lower Jaw, Cheek Side

Discussions relating to bone cancer symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Postby Molloy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:20 pm

I have one small tori on the lower jaw, on the cheek side(next to last molar). The oral surgeon wants to remove it/biopsy. I'm scared to death he suspects cancer. Then again, I don't want to go through an unnecessary surgery if it likely isn't.(No insurance and scared of needles, etc.)

I've read tori are not precancerous, but I've also read that if they're in an unusual place(as this is) they should be biopsied. What are the odds it is cancer? Would it be bone cancer? Do I really want to know if it is bone cancer?(I'm female, early 40's.)

The surgeon--well-respected--was very brusque and not very forthcoming. Should I just have it removed? I'm hoping for peace of mind, but scared to death.

Thank you so much. I don't know where else to turn. My family dentist wasn't very forthcoming either. Am I making a mountain of a molehill?
Molloy

Postby Elphin » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:57 pm

Donna - I am sure by now that you know that a tori on the outside of the jaw towards the cheek is abnormal.  Saying that, I have seen bony growths in similar situations that were benign.  The bone growth needs to be removed, not only for a diagnosis to make sure it is benign, but keeping a bony enlargement in that location will eventually produce inflammation to the cheek tissue and be a site for oral bacterial accumulation.  

The biopsy and removal should be a very straight forward procedure and, if the doctor doing the removal and biopsy is a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon, there should be a little soreness afterwards for a few days and then it should feel normal. So a biopsy is necessary and removal is appropriate.  If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact me again.
Elphin

Postby Charlemagne » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:48 am

I have one small tori on the lower jaw, on the cheek side(next to last molar). The oral surgeon wants to remove it/biopsy. I'm scared to death he suspects cancer. Then again, I don't want to go through an unnecessary surgery if it likely isn't.(No insurance and scared of needles, etc.)

I've read tori are not precancerous, but I've also read that if they're in an unusual place(as this is) they should be biopsied. What are the odds it is cancer? Would it be bone cancer? Do I really want to know if it is bone cancer?(I'm female, early 40's.)

The surgeon--well-respected--was very brusque and not very forthcoming. Should I just have it removed? I'm hoping for peace of mind, but scared to death.

Thank you so much. I don't know where else to turn. My family dentist wasn't very forthcoming either. Am I making a mountain of a molehill?
Charlemagne

Return to Bone Cancer