Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Should i tell my family I have lung cancer?

Lung Cancer discussions, another of the most common forms of cancer

Postby taveon » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:07 pm

I was recently diagnosed with lung cancer, my family lives on the other side of the country and although my doctor thinks I should tell my loved ones, I don t see the need, if my treatments do not work, they will grieve for me when that happens, why make them go through 7 or 8 months of worry. The final outcome will not change by me not telling.

Any advice?
taveon

Postby corey » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:11 pm

tough question, first of all I want to say I'm so sorry, In a way I can understand your view but your family would want to support you, if the treatments do not work your family might feel twice as bad knowing you went through this alone. Imagine if it were someone in your family, would you want to know?
corey

Postby raynor » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:20 pm

It is of course, your decision, however I'd definitely inform them. Let's think for a second:

* You may well need their assistance at some point in their treatment.

* Suppose you don't tell them, and the treatment does fail. For them, that means hearing out of nowhere that you've just died of lung cancer. That's one surprise nobody wants. Although they won't want to hear the news at the end, if that's what it comes to, at least they should be able to prepare themselves for it.
raynor

Postby attewater » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:26 pm

it's your choice.
attewater

Postby lockwood » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:29 pm

it's your choice.
yes try other treatments other than chemo.

In America the only 'proper' way to treat any cancer is either bu surgery by putting many rounds of chemotherapy and radiation into the body in Which they hope to kill the cancer cells which in turns many cell good and bad. Most of the time this is unsuccessful then why do they still do this? MONEY. Sad but true.

But alas!! There is another way!

There is an alternative treatment at you cannot get in the states because it doesn't make all the drug companies money called GERSONS THERAPY is success rate is 50% in terminally I'll patients it's not a scam it's for real. Many people that doctors only give a few months to live have done traveled to Tijuana and completed treatment over a few weeks go home and continue the treatment and the body heals itself naturally. It's an all organic treatment tht really works. There are two movies on Netflix about GERSONS Therapy. I highly recommend that you do the research and urge her to try this.

GERSONS THERAPY IS THE WAY TO GO.

Please consider this.

Watch Food Matters and GERSONS MIRACLE.

Also do the research just because the doctor says you have three months to live doesn't mean you should take his word for it and go home and die. There ARE other options that don't involve drugs or harmful pollutants.

Stop killing your body with this crap.
Start loving your body feed it what it wants.
Proper nutrition vitamins and minerals.
Its very important despite what the dr says.

Keep in mind, there is no money in health.
lockwood

Postby adalberto » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:39 pm

I am very, very sorry for your diagnosis and pray for good outcome on your treatment.

Please tell your family - now. Even though they are on the other side of the country, "In my opinion" it's unfair to not let them know.

I will put myself in place of a family member: IF your treatment were unsuccessful, I can't tell how terrible and guility I would feel about your having to go through this alone when it was not necessary. I might even be a little bit angry with you.

You can still be loved and supported "long distance".

Please don't place this unfair burden on your family because they were unaware of your illness.

Wishing you the best and a while shield of protection.
adalberto

Postby aquilino65 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:41 pm

Unfortunately, there is no pat answer. If you come from a good loving family, I do believe you are morally obligated to share this sort of important information. On the other hand, there are some dysfunctional family situations, where one might at least wait a significant time period before revealing such information.
In my own case, I do wish now I had waited a bit longer before telling my parents, because it upwelled old
conflicts between my parents and brought out their ugliness rather than their beauty as people... My wife was told immediately and she is supportive, and she is my real family. My estranged half sister who I didn't grow up with...who has a pathetic drug problem...and basically perceives my life as one more block in her way to inheriting more money - well, I just have no need to tell her and she is best left out of the immediate situation.

People sometimes discover barriers and limitations when they tell family members such important news.
For example, one might expect an alienated relationship to become less alienated - and one might hope it brings family closer together. All too often , however, one discovers such news reveals the true extent of the family limitations and the true hurtfulness of the barriers...that have taken many years to develop.
It's bad enough to be diagnosed with lung cancer. To add a broken heart on top of it all due to a family's lack of compassion - is something one must carefully weigh and consider.

Should you tell your family?

Eventually of course everybody is going to find out the news. I would just say that it's best to tell them - if you have the choice - to tell them in your own way on your own terms at your own time.. For those of you without a good life insurance plan, this is yet another good reason to be well insured. My accelorated death benefits and my overall life insurance policy has saved my beloved wife from having to depend on my 'family.' who always mean well, but who nevertheless have dropped the ball too many times in too many ways for me to trust them in what is the biggest game of my life - my fight with cancer.
aquilino65

Return to Lung Cancer