Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Can Aspirin Reduce Pancreatic Cancer Risk?

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Should I put down my cat?

Leukemia and blood cancer discussion.

Postby gilpin » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:33 pm

My cat was acting sick last week, and when the vet did blood test on him, he tested positive for feline leukemia. They say theres no hope but does that mean he should be out down? he's been looking better lately compared to last week. He walks around, hes happy and calm, he eats, there seems to be nothing wrong with him. I know he wont survive that long but i dont want to let go of him so fast. This was all so sudden and ive gone through this with my other kitten who was put down because she was in intense pain. i dont want to let him go so fast.
Should i have him put down now?
gilpin

Postby acair » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:43 pm

With the right care and medication, a FeLeuk + cat can live a long, healthy comfortable life. Talk to your vet about what options are available to you and your cat. Good luck!!
acair

Postby blayke » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:53 pm

Right now, no. Until he's in pain, can't eat or groom his shelf, I would take him home and love him.
Later, when he no longer has any quality of life, you'll have to decide what to do, but not yet.
blayke

Postby avonmore » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:04 pm

Then keep the cat until well when it is time for the cat to die you will know .. GOD will come get the cat..... thats how it works... all pets seem to be sick all human beings seem to be sick all the time its getting worse.. all humans are sick and suffering their entire life .. so are all pets all animals. take it one day at a time then .. and dont feel guilt ridden. sorry life sucks.. hold it pray for it love it when its numbers up it will be up. good luck.....
avonmore

Postby leod » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:11 pm

It should really depend on if he/she's in a lot of pain. Feline Leukemia is incurable, but if your cat's getting better, maybe he is in on a miracle, because most cats don't survive. But a lot of cats don't show illness, so maybe he is sick. You just need to make sure you watch his eating, because cats stop eating if they know they're going to die soon. Just be careful to love him a lot in case he does die. To make sure he is loved before he passes away.
I have 8 cats.
leod

Postby jamieson » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:19 pm

keep him!!!! i wouldn't put him down unless he was in a lot of pain
jamieson

Postby agni » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:27 pm

It is a hard question, I have had cats with FL before. I wouldn't put him down right now, but realize it will have to be done sometime. Make your peace with it, say goodbye, treat him extra gently and try to make sure he drinks LOTS of water. When he gets sick again, and he will, that is when you will want to have him put down.

It doesn't make sense to pay money repeatedly to extend his life, but you don't have to put him down while he is doing OK either. Keeping him alive but in pain is no good either.

Keep him away from other cats, as FL is spread through shared food and water. If you have other cats, make sure they get vaccinated and tested as well.

I'm so sorry about kitty, but at least you get a chance to say goodbye. Enjoy the time you have left and make sure his last days are good ones.
agni

Postby chitto » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:31 pm

right now? no.
take him home and love him, make him happy, be with him a lot.
but when he starts to be in pain..i think you'll make the right decision.
chitto

Postby lockwood » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:35 pm

As long as he's not in pain you shouldn't put him down. But when he's in alot of pain you should. keep the last weeks of his life as happy as you can spend more time with him and pet him. He might loose his life but you must reasure him that he hasn't lost your love
lockwood

Postby livingston » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:44 pm

I would put him on medications/treatments to see if it helps, if he gets better, don't, but if his health continues to decline, I would put him down so he doesn't have to suffer.
livingston

Next

Return to Leukemia Forum