Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Should I Get Tested For Leukemia?

Leukemia and blood cancer discussion.

Postby arlin21 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:28 am

My mom was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia over a month ago. She has been in the hospital for over six weeks and has been blasted with chemo three times. Her test results came back in and she is now in remission and will be returning home tomorrow.

I'm seventeen and for the past month have just been concentrating on her getting better.

Now I realize that leukemia can be genetic and i also have had problems with my iron level my whole life, and am also anemic just like my mother.

Should I get tested for leukemia?

Is it possible for them to catch it this early or suspect it?

My mom is fifty.
arlin21

Postby Torrey » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:31 am

Before you do that you should get informed about it. Have a look at this article from CurePages.com about leukemia and other blood diseases.

Leukemia is a form of malignancy characterized by the appearance of enormous numbers of white blood cells in the circulating blood. There are two main forms of leukemia, according to the primary cell type. These are designed lymphatic and myeloid. Lymphatic leukemia arises, from a primary malignancy of the lymphatic system, and the circulating the blood contains an immerse number of lymphocytes, whereas myeloid leukemia arises from the leukecyte forming myeloid cells of the bone marrow and is characterized by an enormous preponderance of granulocytes in free circulation together with blast cells, which are primitive cells escaping from the marrow before maturation. Each category is further subdivided into acute and chronic, depending upon the degree of malignancy, with the acute varieties tending to be much more common in children but by no means confined to this age group.

The symptoms of leukemia are increasing lassitude, anemia, ease of bruising, susceptibility of infections, loss of weight, night sweats, splenic and often liver enlargment. The diagnosis can be established by a simple differential blood count. Today thanks to major advances in chemotherapy combined with radiotherapy, an increasing number of such patients can be cured, but such successful treatment requires special expertise and often special hospital facilities.

Polycythemia vera is a comparatively rare cancer of the bone marow cells responsible for red blood cell production. As a result of this disease circulating blood contains many more red blood cells than normal, leading to the characteristic florid plethoric appearance. Although malignant, the disease usually pursues a relatively benign course, with frequent survival for very many years. Some control can be achieved by regular venesection and the use of radioactive isotopes such as radio chromium, which selectively localize in bone and cause marow suppression.

Multiple myelomatosis is not a uncommon cancer of the plasma cells of the bone marow concerned with the production of immunoglobulins. It is more common in men than in women and tends to occur in the latter decades of life. The tumor cells produce an abnormal immunoglobulin that can be detected in the blood and, in many patients, in the urine. The illness may run a variable course but the usual picture is one of multiple expanding lesions of the skull and skeleton. Treatment, if required, is by chemotherapy.
Torrey

Postby harmon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:32 am

Just got back from the hospital about 2 weeks ago, I am 16 and diagnosed with Leukemia. They gave me a bit of information and I can tell you from my recollection of what I already know about cancer (considering I took a class on it and ironically getting it 1 year later >.
harmon

Postby Andonis » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:33 am

Actually it isn't proven that leukemia can be genetic so don't worry yourself. your chances of getting it are very very slim.

If you had a sibling that had leukemia your chances of getting it are higher but it is actually not very common for it to go from parents to children but it is more common to go from sibling to sibling.

also low iron doesn't mean you have leukemia, if you had leukemia your red blood cells and platlets would be low and your white cells high

I was diagnosed with leukemia 2 years ago and my blood test showed that my iron was actually pretty high.

Don't worry yourself but if it is bugging you that much then go have a full blood test done to ease your worries

Congradulations on your mum being in remission
Andonis

Postby Lorimar » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:34 am

If, for only your peace of mind,, do so.
Lorimar

Postby Drygedene » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:36 am

maybe get checked every other year
Drygedene

Return to Leukemia Forum