Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Science Project For Skin Cancer?

Melanoma and Skin Cancer Discussion

Postby Bastion » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:19 am

okay so i really need science extra credit to boost up my grade and i need to make it really good. she said if i did research and wrote a report about skin cancer than she'd accept it. it needs to be really good, but im only in 7th grade so you cant use "big" words.

this is what i have so far:

Skin cancer is a disease that cancer cells are identified in the outer layer of your skin. Have you ever realized how valuable your skin is? It protects you from things such as high temperatures, brightness, injuries, infections, and many more things. It also stores important needs such as water, vitamin D, and fat.

Signs of skin cancer is usually identified as changes in your skin type. If you have a sore that won?t heal, and if that sore is a lump that is reddish or reddish brown, you may have skin cancer. Also, if it isn?t a lump but it is scaly or rough, there?s a chance you could have skin cancer.

It is known sunlight, or sunburn can cause skin cancer. First, the irritation damages your skin, and then it leads to skin cancer. Skin cancer is also hereditary. 80% of people receive skin cancer from the sun by 18 years of age. Tanning is the skins response when the sunlight hits it, but this reaction can not protect itself from skin cancer. The good part of everything is, when you are sun burnt, it could take up to twenty years to become a more dangerous matter such as skin cancer.

can someone help me with the rest? it probably should be about two pages. thank you :]
Bastion

Postby Zimra » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:21 am

I am impressed, too bad you did not put this much effort into your regular studies so that you would not need to do "extra-credit".
But it could serve you well in your lifetime! I love your start.

Here is some help...

A better introduction...explain what cancer is.
You state that cancer is a disease and that it is identified in the outer layer of the skin. To make a stronger case, identify what cancer is: basically it is a cell that divides and reproduces abnormally and has the potential to spread throughout the body, crowding out normal cells and tissues.(http://cancer.about.com/od/newlydiagnose...
will explain it better.

You explain what the skin does (great) and why we need it.
Then you tell of what skin cancer can appear as.
Then you tell how you can get it.

But how about 2008? Why is it important today? This will answer those questions for you...

"More than 1 million new cases of skin cancer will be diagnosed in the United States this year.

Basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas are the two most common forms of skin cancer, but are easily treated if detected early.

Current estimates are that 1 in 5 Americans will develop skin cancer in their lifetime. 0ne American dies of melanoma almost every hour (every 62 minutes). In 2008, 8,420 deaths will be attributed to melanoma ? 5,400 men and 3,020 women.

These statistics make a stronger argument about the need to prevent skin cancer...

Finally, I would discuss ways to prevent skin cancer...

stay out of the sun, use sun tanning lotions, and whatever other ways you can think of, remember you get tanned even if the sun is not out.

Here is the source of the information quoted and you wil need to cite it in your report.
http://www.aad.org/media/background/fact...

Here is how to do it, On-line I found out a web site called......it states that.................

I hope this helps...you did most of the work, and telling what cancer is would help your paper, and then the dangers of the cancer itself, and some statistics letting the reader know how dangerous this disease is, and finally how to prevent it.
Zimra

Postby Jokul » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:30 am

I was diagnosed with Melanoma about two years ago so I can tell you about that. I was diagnosed when I was 12 which is very rare. Melanoma is the most dangerous type of skin cancer and when you are that young it makes it even more dangerous. To know if a mole is malignant (cancerous) then you look if it is multi-colored (meaning that there are different shades of brown or sometimes red), elevation (different spots of the mole have different elevation), if the mole is abnormally shaped (not a circle or close to a circle), or any other noticeable changes. Even if you don't notice any changes it doesn't mean its not malignant. When you are being tested you go through a first biopsy to make sure it is cancerous. If so, then you have a first surgery where they cut into your skin and remove a small portion of it around and through the mole. if they didn't get all of the cancer then you go through a second cutting. After that, surgeries vary. I got chemo as my option. This all happened in 7th grade, so you can relate to that. i hope this helps!
Jokul

Postby Gabrielo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:35 am

you in all possibility won't have the ability to get maximum cancers cellular samples, yet you ought to certainly get photographs maximum cancers cells and make a exhibit exhibiting photographs of typical cells and photographs of different variety of maximum cancers cells. categories of maximum cancers cells look different. you ought to focus purely on dermis maximum cancers and upload some thing on your presentation on thank you to get/keep away from dermis maximum cancers, like using sunscreen, and make a exhibit exhibiting the different warning symptoms to look for in dermis maximum cancers - the ABCD chart for figuring out dermis maximum cancers. Assymetry, B=Borders, C=shade and that i forget approximately what D=. purely a tenet.
Gabrielo

Postby fitzwater98 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:40 am

idk
fitzwater98

Return to Melanoma and Skin Cancer