Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Cancer Rates in September 11 Responders Rising

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Scholarships for brain tumor patients?

Anything relating to brain tumors symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Postby dietz30 » Wed May 15, 2013 6:52 pm

I know there are tons of scholarships out there and I've of medical ones for people with certain medical issues. I've looked and there's just so much out. I don't want to be scammed. Does anybody know of any legit websites to apply for scholarships specifically for brain tumor patients?
dietz30

Postby pallaton16 » Wed May 15, 2013 7:00 pm

Many of the scholarships are limited to certain regions. You should speak to the doctor treating your brain tumor (neurosurgeon, neurologist, or oncologist) and ask what is available.

The Children's Brain Tumor Foundation does maintain a list of scholarships. They're pretty specific (state you live in, specific disorders, etc.) but it's worth looking at.

http://www.cbtf.org/learn/scholarship-and-education-info
pallaton16

Postby rae4 » Wed May 15, 2013 7:04 pm

Your best source of scholarships is generally going to be the schools you're applying to. If you aren't likely to qualify for need-based aid (aid based solely on financial need), then look for schools that offer merit scholarships. Some schools (such as the Ivy League schools) only offer need-based aid, but many liberal arts schools offer generous merit scholarships, as do some state universities. Your chances of receiving financial aid improve if you are a good student because you'll have a better chance of actually finishing college. There are many websites out there with information about colleges. Start with collegeboard.com and then look for others.
rae4

Return to Brain Tumors