Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Scapular Fracture

Discussions relating to bone cancer symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Scapular Fracture

Postby morio97 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:05 pm

My 14 year old son actually got a scapular fracture(body of scapula from lateral border horizontally about half-way, non-displaced). He was playing lacrosse and had just released the ball so his arm was straight out in front of his body when he was(illegally) checked by a player using the pole with his hands apart. The odd thing besides the fracture is that there has been no bruise. He is now 5 days post-injury. He has been in a sling since the injury, x-ray recheck scheduled at 2 weeks post- injury. I have been a PT in orthopedics for 30 years and have NEVER seen a scapular fx that was not from a pedestrian/car accident! QUESTIONS: How soon should I start PROM, AROM? Is there some underlying pathology that I should worry about? Would bone cancer show up on an x-ray? Thank you!
morio97

Scapular Fracture

Postby Eban » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:21 pm

I've only seen a few and they have been from MVA's as well.

First of all I'd forget about the bone cancer idea.  Unless it runs in your family or something in particular showed up on the x-ray I think that's an unnecessary worry/issue.

Second, as you know from being a PT kids heal quickly and they get range of motion and strength back extremely fast.  With that said, I wouldn't want to do anything that would risk displacing that bone and making things worse.  So, with your MD's consent I might start some pendelum exercises just to keep the glenohumeral joint loose and the capsule from getting tight.  That shouldn't put too much stress on the scapula and would help quite a bit.  

I think AROM would be ok at 2 weeks assuming the x-ray still looks good but just go slow.  I hope this helps!
Eban

Scapular Fracture

Postby Shehyar » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:18 am

My 14 year old son actually got a scapular fracture(body of scapula from lateral border horizontally about half-way, non-displaced). He was playing lacrosse and had just released the ball so his arm was straight out in front of his body when he was(illegally) checked by a player using the pole with his hands apart. The odd thing besides the fracture is that there has been no bruise. He is now 5 days post-injury. He has been in a sling since the injury, x-ray recheck scheduled at 2 weeks post- injury. I have been a PT in orthopedics for 30 years and have NEVER seen a scapular fx that was not from a pedestrian/car accident! QUESTIONS: How soon should I start PROM, AROM? Is there some underlying pathology that I should worry about? Would bone cancer show up on an x-ray? Thank you!
Shehyar

Return to Bone Cancer