Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Research For My Book?

Pancreatic Cancer Discussions

Research For My Book?

Postby Medwin » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:05 am

My story is about a eight year old whose father is diagnosed with cancer. I don't need to write from the point of view of someone going through treatment, but I do need to write from the perspective of his loved ones. Is there anyone that can help me choose my cancer and maybe give me a basic walk through of what would happen? (i.e. what it would be mistaken for, etc.) It would also be nice to receive any website or book recommendations that I can turn to for research.

I do have some criteria:

+ I would like him to make it about nine to twelve months from the beginning of the book. I'm still unsure how far in to the book it is before he discovers his condition.

+ I would like something that they attempt to remove surgically, but fail (without the attempt being terminal). However, I don't even know if that's an option.

+ I would like it to be treated with chemo, I think. I'm pretty flexible on this one, but from my understanding chemo would be ideal.

+ I want something that has a suspenseful prognosis, but still gives hope. For a while I was researching pancreatic cancer when I realized that there was little hope from the moment he was diagnosed. Although the story does end in a death, I would like to keep the readers wondering.

I also request that you don't tell me to shoo away from topics I'm not educated on. My point of view character is eight, and I lost my father to Leukemia at eight. I am familiar with the subject matter. If Leukemia fit with the story I have in mind, I wouldn't hesitate to mirror it in my writing. However, since it is not treated surgically, I am searching for something that does fit.

Thank you so much!
Medwin

Research For My Book?

Postby lloyd » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:07 am

Try Books and Authors.
lloyd

Research For My Book?

Postby Bemot » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:08 am

I would definitely choose osteosarcoma a cancer that starts in a bone and mets from there . It is everything you are looking for in a cancer. You have surgery, chemo, radiation,more surgery, tons of drama, prognosis all over the map. Good Luck.

I'm not trying to come off as wantonly callous it's just the way it is.
Bemot

Return to Pancreatic Cancer