Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Quitting Smoking

Lung Cancer discussions, another of the most common forms of cancer

Quitting Smoking

Postby Rhyd » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:17 am

I quit smoking a month and a half back. That time I misunderstood the withdrawal symptoms to be something serious and my anxiety and depression increased drastically. After two weeks of quitting I was admitted on account of shortage of breath. AFter recovring in about a couple of weeks, I was diagnosed with infection in lungs and I am taking antibiotics. I started to throw out black phlegm. My friends say that is the lungs cleaning. I still feel something blocks my throat. I have got Chext X Ray, CT, Bronshoscopy , Upper GI endoscopy, Barium Swallow. All normal. Doc says it might be anxiety. I also get excessive salivation and occasional twitches in the muscles. Garglig helps and also exercising. Are these withdrawal symptoms. How long will they last. I have taken too many antibiotics.

I believe my excess salive blocks my throat. Waiting for your response. I am 28 years old and have been smoking for 10 years about 4 or 5 a day
Rhyd

Quitting Smoking

Postby macinnes » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:38 am

I quit smoking a month and a half back. That time I misunderstood the withdrawal symptoms to be something serious and my anxiety and depression increased drastically. After two weeks of quitting I was admitted on account of shortage of breath. AFter recovring in about a couple of weeks, I was diagnosed with infection in lungs and I am taking antibiotics. I started to throw out black phlegm. My friends say that is the lungs cleaning. I still feel something blocks my throat. I have got Chext X Ray, CT, Bronshoscopy , Upper GI endoscopy, Barium Swallow. All normal. Doc says it might be anxiety. I also get excessive salivation and occasional twitches in the muscles. Garglig helps and also exercising. Are these withdrawal symptoms. How long will they last. I have taken too many antibiotics.

I believe my excess salive blocks my throat. Waiting for your response. I am 28 years old and have been smoking for 10 years about 4 or 5 a day
macinnes

Quitting Smoking

Postby Giovani » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:36 am

Dear Peeyush,

That is wnderful that you have quit. I am sorry to hear that you have had so much trouble. I think the infection is unrelated to quitting and if the antibiotics clear that up you should feel better.

The healng process is different for each person. But you will be better in time. It sounds like you are doing all the right things. Zyban/bupropion for anxiety helps some smokers recover. Did a doctor suggest that?

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

Mike
Giovani

Return to Lung Cancer