Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Quitting smoking now, will it help?

Lung Cancer discussions, another of the most common forms of cancer

Postby maximilian13 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:23 pm

I am 23 years old. I have been smoking since i was 20, but when i was between 20 and 21 i smoked maybe 5 cigarettes a day, and when i would drink i would smoke more. Then when i was 22 and up until now its off and on...sometimes i would smoke sober but i cut back, other times id stop for like a week, then on the weekend would do it again. Mainly when im with friends though because they all smoke. When im alone i can go without it. I stopped buying packs over a year ago, even though i have smoked for 3 years i never got addicted. The only time it is kinda hard is when i drink because then i crave it. Overall though, i have cut back a lot. Yesterday i found out that my grandma was diagnosed with lung cancer recently. It killed me...because i am so close to her. I don't know what to do except for that i am going to spend as much time with her as i can. She smoked since she was 20 just like me, and now is in her 70s...but she quit about a year ago. This was a wake up call for me and i will never light up again. That is my biggest fear...and i really will not do that ever again. I am so against smoking now and refuse to smoke. My question is, if i quit now will i be able to save myself from getting that horrible sickness? Not only am i depressed and crushed about my grandma but i am also scared and regret ever smoking.
maximilian13

Postby crandall » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:30 pm

If you quit now your lungs will be better off for it then waiting another day. You will be fine
crandall

Return to Lung Cancer