Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Question About Cancer?

Discuss Colorectal cancers

Question About Cancer?

Postby Benet » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:00 pm

My mother was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma. She had tomors all in her stomach and colon and she had major surgery to get them all removed. The surgeon said that he got rid of everything that was visable to the eyes. They are also giving her some chemo treatment as well after the surgery. If there is no more cancer visable to the eye does this mean she is cured? I was told stage 4 melanoma could not be cured because it spreads to organs but it isnt inside her organs. Could there still be cells inside her body that are cancer that they cannot pick up? I am confused with this situation. What do you tihnk her life expectancy will be now?
Benet

Question About Cancer?

Postby Darron » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:04 pm

As it can be called a "successful treatment" and doctors are giving chemo to kill any leftover cancerous cells, so she is cured . It is possible that some cells (invisible) resist/survive the treatment methods and come back more vigorously after the passage of 1 year or so. No one can be sure about the life expectancy, as many stage 4 colon cancer survivors (like your mother) lived cancer free for the rest of their lives (and in some cases recurrence was fatal ).
By the way that 5 to 22% five year survival rate is for the stage4 colon cancer patients for whom the treatment wasn't successful.

However, the following measures can enhance the life expectancy of a colon cancer survivor

*Have frequent screening tests for colon cancer (every 6 months).

*Being careful about diet and including natural herbs (that fight against colon cancer) in meals.

*Physical activities/exercise

Supporting link gives the information about the herbs and precautions to prevent colon cancer.
Darron

Question About Cancer?

Postby Chagiya » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:06 pm

I am sorry to hear about your mother.

Reported 5 year survival rates of stage 4 melanomas vary considerably (5-22%).

And even if they did remove all signs of melanoma, there may still be melanoma cells left, that may give rise to new tumours later on.

This is what they are attempting to prevent by giving her chemotherapy. It is not possible to give any guarantees that it will not recur some day. And it is not possible to make a reliable estimate of life expectancy.

You could hold on to the positive thought that at least for now, every sign of melanoma is gone.
Chagiya

Question About Cancer?

Postby Odanodan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:20 pm

My mother was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma. She had tomors all in her stomach and colon and she had major surgery to get them all removed. The surgeon said that he got rid of everything that was visable to the eyes. They are also giving her some chemo treatment as well after the surgery. If there is no more cancer visable to the eye does this mean she is cured? I was told stage 4 melanoma could not be cured because it spreads to organs but it isnt inside her organs. Could there still be cells inside her body that are cancer that they cannot pick up? I am confused with this situation. What do you tihnk her life expectancy will be now?
Odanodan

Return to Colon Cancer