Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: United Kingdom Seeing Increase in Skin Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Pregnant without a uterus or cervix?

Cervical Cancer research and treatment discussions

Postby watt » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:03 pm

My sister, 29, (who is known for lying) has two children (Alex 10, and Alee 4) she found out she had cervical cancer when she was pregnant with Alee so she had a partial hysterectomy after delivering her.

Now, 4 years later, My sister Hayley, just told me today that she is 9 weeks pregnant. Since she has been getting blood work done for her cancer they found out last week at her appointment. She had another appointment today to have everything clarified and to check the status of the baby, the doctor said that everything was good.

Hayley said the egg attaches to an organ or something and grows from that. How true is this? Have you ever heard this??
watt

Postby atzel » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:07 pm

Never in my life have I heard of someone without a cervix or uterus able to get pregnant!
atzel

Postby eorlland85 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:27 pm

She needs a uterus to carry a child. If she doesn't have the components for a womb, then pregnancy isn't an option.
eorlland85

Postby chadburne » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:37 pm

Not possible.

And really a preganncy in which the embryo attached to her intestines or bladder would be a medical emergency and her doctor would be VERY concerned (and writing it up as a case report for the New England Journal of Medicine.)

EDIT: Hmmm.... so it would appear that it IS possible for a baby to develop attached to the liver. But the bigger question would be -- how did the sperm make it up there? (After a hysterectomy the vagina is a blind alley.)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2932608.stm
chadburne

Postby taji93 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:40 pm

its true some woman who get pregnant the egg goes the wrong way out of the uterus and attaches to an organ. only thing is its a hurtful process since the baby will be growing outside the womb.she can carry to full term. it all depends how strong she is.

But yes u need a uterus.
taji93

Postby bartleah » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:44 pm

She is lying. No one can get pregnant without a uterus or cervix. It's physically impossible. Just wait for when she comes to you and says that she lost it.
bartleah

Postby albert » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:51 pm

If she had a partial hysterectomy, she might have only had one ovary removed, in which case she could do it. She might not have had her uterus removed.

You can't grow a baby outside a womb. Where would the baby get nourishment? Here's an explanation of what happens if an egg is fertilized and attaches outside the womb: it's essentially an emergency and could be fatal to the mother or would be aborted, it wouldn't become a baby: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/364702/pregnancy_after_hysterectomy_can_i.html?cat=70.

This says very clearly, "Ectopic pregnancies cannot continue to birth (term). The developing cells must be removed to save the mother's life." http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000895.htm

That said, if she's lying, it will become apparent in a few months when she isn't showing. Or you could offer to be supportive and go to the doctor's office with her: if she turns you down, she might be lying. Or you wait and see if a baby comes.

If your sister lies to this extent, she has a mental illness. You can treat her as someone who is ill and needs attention. You can also choose to see a counselor or minister about how you deal with her: maybe you shouldn't tell her personal things about yourself if this is how she reacts. Not to blame you or make you the victim, just something to consider.

And no, a baby attached to a liver would not be more stable. There's no way for the baby to get nourishment. If this was really happening, her doctor would be referring her to experts and she'd be visiting medical centers at universities and other doctors would be studying and monitoring her.

Is it possible she lied about the cervical cancer in the first place? Could she have had pre-cancer of the cervix, HPV, in which case they would have burned or frozen it off? Could she have lied about the partial hysterectomy? Like I said, offer to go with her to her next doctor's appointment.

Wow.
albert

Postby danon » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:54 pm

Well, she could have an ectopic pregnancy, where the egg plants itself somewhere other than the uterus (typically a fallopian tube), but it's impossible for the baby to survive in that condition. It's actually a surgical emergency, so the doctor would be extremely worried.

The chances of a woman who had a hysterectomy getting pregnant is 1 in 1 million. But the uterus has to be there for the baby to survive.
danon

Postby jerrel82 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:58 pm

Well, she could have an ectopic pregnancy, where the egg plants itself somewhere other than the uterus (typically a fallopian tube), but it's impossible for the baby to survive in that condition. It's actually a surgical emergency, so the doctor would be extremely worried.

The chances of a woman who had a hysterectomy getting pregnant is 1 in 1 million. But the uterus has to be there for the baby to survive.
its possible... i have seen a show on tlc about a women who carried a baby that was attached to one of her organs inside of her and she carried the baby to full term. but it could be very risky to carry a baby like that. it happens not that often so it is possible.
jerrel82

Postby garmund33 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:04 pm

what the ****...no she is definately lying thats impossible...the baby has to attatch the lining of the uterus, there is no other way...because as you probably know even then it doesnt become a viable pregnancy because it finds it hard to attatch to the uterus...NO you definately cant get pregnant with no cervix and no uterus....attached by the liver, oh deary me im quite surprised people havent laughed in her face

ok i just read that it is possible but the baby wouldnt survive and only 14 pregnancy's have been reported worldwide....so i think she read about it somewhere and then lied about being pregnant in such way but is now going to have to worm her way out of it.....her doctor would send her to hospital right away, because from the sounds of it...it puts the women at life threatening risk
garmund33

Next

Return to Cervical Cancer