Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Possibility Of Bone/joint Cancer

Discussions relating to bone cancer symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Postby Kenjiro » Mon May 09, 2016 7:20 pm

Hi there.

I am seeking some help in regards to my current health condition. Last year I suffered from sore, weak legs and fatigue. In May 2010 I dislocated my left kneecap while standing still. My orthopaedic surgeon stated at the time that my bones were "abnormal and flat" and perhaps this is what caused the dislocation.

However, in July 2010, after my Zimmersplint was removed I noticed some weird symptoms. My knee area was in severe pain and my foot had begun to turn inwards. Even through weekly physiotherapy my knee muscles did NOT strengthen. In fact, when I went to visit my orthopaedic surgeon again he stated that the muscles in my foot, thigh, and knee were actually weakening. This has begun a lengthy process of an MRI, EEG, X-rays, and seeing a neurologist. I also participated in a month of twice a week physiotherapy on my hip(as this was now thought to be the cause of the problem).

But now, I have noticed more issues. I have frequent headaches - always when I wake up in the morning. They have lasted for days, they have gone away immediately, and they have gone away and returned in a day. Ibuprofen does not help. I have also started getting ridiculously hot while sleeping(sometimes to the point of sweating) and I am ALWAYS cold during the day. On top of that, I haven't slept through the night in over two months due to severe lower back and hip pain. I find myself constantly re-positioning myself in order to get comfortable. For a short time I had to sleep with a pillow under my back. That no longer works. I also have noticeable differences in muscle size between legs. I get restless muscles that feel they need to be stretched. I still experience varying pain in my back, hips, and legs(always worse on the left side). I am fatigued again(it vanished for a few months). I get spurts of pain that seem to be INSIDE the shin bone on my left leg. And I have noticed bruises on my thighs when nothing has happened to cause them. I often get tingling sensations in my legs - I can't cross my knees or ankles.

I am extremely concerned. My neurologist doesn't seem to care, my orthopaedic surgeon thinks it is neurological within the knee, my physiotherapist believes it stems from the hips, and a research on symptoms says bone cancer(which can be knee, hip, or spine). My paternal grandmother and a paternal aunt have died from cancer. My father died from ALS and a paternal uncle has MS. Do you have any ideas for me? I have not had any blood tests for over a year.

Thanks for reading;

Stefanie

ANSWER: I don't know how old you are but reading your story I thought of brain or spinal cord problems.  The headaches, the hot flashes, the feeling of being cold, and the neurologic symptoms all would cause me to order a CT or MRI of the brain, and if that was negative, I'd probably look at your spinal column.  The differential diagnosis is broad at this point and there is a process a general physician would go through to figure out your problem. I don't think you will do well relying on a neurologist and an orthopedic surgeon.  They are too specialized.  You could have ALS or MS, but you really need to have an MRI of the Brain, a Chest Xray, possibly an MRI of the spine, and if all those are negative I'd think about a spinal tap.  Hope this helps.  

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

Thank you for answering so quickly! I am 23 years old and female. Does this change anything? Also, I have a GP but whenever I bring up issues she skirts the problem and relates it to depression in regards of my father passing away.

Anyways, I recently had a chest X-Ray for a chest infection/strep throat issue and the doctors didn't bring anything up. Should I go back and ask? I also recently had an MRI, but my doctor is on vacation. I would just like to know what you think I should bring up with my doctor, especially if the MRI is negative. Should I be asking for a CT Scan? Another MRI(mine was on my lower back)? Is there any other tests I should be recommending? Possibly blood work? Is there a chance of cancer or should I rule this out? I'm really nervous of a cancer diagnosis now that I've done some research.

Thanks again;

Stefanie
Kenjiro

Postby Kolt » Mon May 09, 2016 10:45 pm

If the muscles in one leg are weaker than in the other, and if you are having headaches, and if you are having problems with balance, you need a thorough neurologic work up.  I wouldn't worry about doing lab tests until you've had images done of your brain and spinal cord.  Then if nothing shows up, I'd test spinal fluid and blood for evidence of multiple sclerosis, or autoimmune neuropathy.  You really need to get that neurologic work up.  There is always a slight possibility that you have a cancer causing these things,  but the imaging tests are the most important way to diagnose that.  At your age, it's not likely that you have cancer, though.  Hope this helps.  Insist that your doctor talk to you about the MRI you had.  I don't know how long he's been on vacation, but make sure you touch base.  I can't be more specific than this, because when I approach someone who is having symptoms, I start with a history and physical exam, then do images, then lab tests.  Each builds on what I found in the previous part.  
Kolt

Postby Chioke » Tue May 10, 2016 10:41 am

Hi there.

I am seeking some help in regards to my current health condition. Last year I suffered from sore, weak legs and fatigue. In May 2010 I dislocated my left kneecap while standing still. My orthopaedic surgeon stated at the time that my bones were "abnormal and flat" and perhaps this is what caused the dislocation.

However, in July 2010, after my Zimmersplint was removed I noticed some weird symptoms. My knee area was in severe pain and my foot had begun to turn inwards. Even through weekly physiotherapy my knee muscles did NOT strengthen. In fact, when I went to visit my orthopaedic surgeon again he stated that the muscles in my foot, thigh, and knee were actually weakening. This has begun a lengthy process of an MRI, EEG, X-rays, and seeing a neurologist. I also participated in a month of twice a week physiotherapy on my hip(as this was now thought to be the cause of the problem).

But now, I have noticed more issues. I have frequent headaches - always when I wake up in the morning. They have lasted for days, they have gone away immediately, and they have gone away and returned in a day. Ibuprofen does not help. I have also started getting ridiculously hot while sleeping(sometimes to the point of sweating) and I am ALWAYS cold during the day. On top of that, I haven't slept through the night in over two months due to severe lower back and hip pain. I find myself constantly re-positioning myself in order to get comfortable. For a short time I had to sleep with a pillow under my back. That no longer works. I also have noticeable differences in muscle size between legs. I get restless muscles that feel they need to be stretched. I still experience varying pain in my back, hips, and legs(always worse on the left side). I am fatigued again(it vanished for a few months). I get spurts of pain that seem to be INSIDE the shin bone on my left leg. And I have noticed bruises on my thighs when nothing has happened to cause them. I often get tingling sensations in my legs - I can't cross my knees or ankles.

I am extremely concerned. My neurologist doesn't seem to care, my orthopaedic surgeon thinks it is neurological within the knee, my physiotherapist believes it stems from the hips, and a research on symptoms says bone cancer(which can be knee, hip, or spine). My paternal grandmother and a paternal aunt have died from cancer. My father died from ALS and a paternal uncle has MS. Do you have any ideas for me? I have not had any blood tests for over a year.

Thanks for reading;

Stefanie

ANSWER: I don't know how old you are but reading your story I thought of brain or spinal cord problems.  The headaches, the hot flashes, the feeling of being cold, and the neurologic symptoms all would cause me to order a CT or MRI of the brain, and if that was negative, I'd probably look at your spinal column.  The differential diagnosis is broad at this point and there is a process a general physician would go through to figure out your problem. I don't think you will do well relying on a neurologist and an orthopedic surgeon.  They are too specialized.  You could have ALS or MS, but you really need to have an MRI of the Brain, a Chest Xray, possibly an MRI of the spine, and if all those are negative I'd think about a spinal tap.  Hope this helps.  

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

Thank you for answering so quickly! I am 23 years old and female. Does this change anything? Also, I have a GP but whenever I bring up issues she skirts the problem and relates it to depression in regards of my father passing away.

Anyways, I recently had a chest X-Ray for a chest infection/strep throat issue and the doctors didn't bring anything up. Should I go back and ask? I also recently had an MRI, but my doctor is on vacation. I would just like to know what you think I should bring up with my doctor, especially if the MRI is negative. Should I be asking for a CT Scan? Another MRI(mine was on my lower back)? Is there any other tests I should be recommending? Possibly blood work? Is there a chance of cancer or should I rule this out? I'm really nervous of a cancer diagnosis now that I've done some research.

Thanks again;

Stefanie
Chioke

Return to Bone Cancer