Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Poor Appetite, Licking Lips

Pancreatic Cancer Discussions

Postby eorlland85 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:00 am

Hello, I'm impressed with the quality of answers I've seen posted here - thanks for the service.

I have a 5 year old spayed female cat who is about 9 lbs. Currently she is refusing food and licking her lips.  

2 weeks ago she threw up a hairball, and kept throwing up.  She'd eat, and vomit again.  I withheld food, gave her some slippy elm and she seemed to be completely recovered. I've been feeding a combination of dry food which she barely touches and canned food for the past week.  The past few days it seems her appetite has gone downhill again.

This morning I noticed her licking her lips and figuring it was nausea gave her 1/4 of a pepcid ac.  She seemed better after about 20 minutes and ate a tablespoon or so of canned food.(Eagle Pack)

This afternoon when I came home she was quiet, licking her lips and refusing even bits of hand-fed cheese(her favorite).  I've given her a dose of slippery elm again and am waiting to see how she responds.  A skin test seems to show she is not dehydrated at this point.

I found a supplement called G.I. Tract put out by Wapiti Labs in Ham Lake, MN. and have also given her about .5 ml of that.  It's supposed to help both liver and kidney function.

To me this looks like symptoms of CRF, but getting her subQ therapy here in the Twin Cities metro in MN will, based on the phone calls I've made, run me at least $500.00 - a blood panel will be $300.00, office visit $90.00 plus the supplies.  I've done this before for a CRF cat successfully but I don't have the money to do a full blood panel and no longer have contacts to get the lactated ringers solution and equipment needed to try it and see if it works without going through a vet who will require the complete blood tests.

She's still active, playful, purring alternating with periods of quiet preoccupation and lip licking.  Because I have 2 cats it's difficult to track litter box habits but I think she may be urinating more often and in smaller amounts.

Are these symptoms classic of anything other the CRF?

Can I do anything for her other than the slippery elm?

Do you have any information on the Wapiti Labs GI Tract supplement? If this does sounds like early CRF, is there a way to skip the expense of the blood work and get some lactated ringers solution to try a small amount and see if she responds, and just keep treating the symptoms to keep her comfortable?

Thanks

Maryellen  
eorlland85

Postby Ray » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:51 am

Good for you to be already doing some holistic approaches. Are these symptoms classic of anything other the CRF?

LIver failure, general aging, urinary tract infection, pancreatitis, stomach problems - many many possibilities. I would not leap to CRF.

Can I do anything for her other than the slippery elm? See below

Do you have any information on the Wapiti Labs GI Tract supplement? They are good but you need to track how she does to see if it is good for her.

If this does sounds like early CRF, is there a way to skip the expense of the blood work and get some lactated ringers solution to try a small amount and see if she responds, and just keep treating the symptoms to keep her comfortable? I think that is a hit or miss approach. Basic blood work and exam should be around $100 to $150. Fluids will never hurt, and could help, but it would only be temporary.

So many people are having trouble with money right now and yet they have animals who are dependent on them. First, you can save money by doing no vaccines after baby shots except for Rabies(see below). You may already be not vaccinating. Second you can spend the time to find inexpensive sources of raw meat, fish, eggs and dairy which will build healthy animals.(See below because dry food often precipitates CRF, so if I could do anyting in my life it would be to have NO CAT ever eat even one bite of dry food.) Third, find an integrative veterinarian who is willing to barter(may take calling several to find one willing) and a local, hands on clinic(may be the same one or not) where you can volunteer to trade your skills or labor for something they need. I do not know if this is possible for Dr. Swanson(see below - FIND A HEALER), but it may be. Worth a try. Do it before the money is needed - build up some credit with the clinics. Fourth, start a savings account, even a small one of pennies at first, so you have money when needed. Fifth, go to the library to find books on holistic healing of animals. Keep learning more along the path you have already started.

Please go to my web site and sign up for the free newsletter - www.ChristinaChambreau.com. On the products page, there are many great supplements.

If you were trained in different healing modalities(see below - YOU BE THE HEALER) you could help by using Reiki, T-Touch, HTA, flower essences, supplements, homeopathy and more.  Below find Reiki training(free) and treatments(free). People have told me that when they REiki the food of cats who are not eating, they often start eating. While researching what you will do next, you could try:

1.   Rescue Remedy(health food store) - one drop in a separate water bowl and a drop on each meal. Put 4 drops in one ounce of water and give it several more times during the day.

2.   Nu cat vitamins(will sometimes get cats eating) from VetriScience(order at www.ChristinaChambreau.com/products.php)

4.   PDG from Wysong will get some cats to eat and can be mixed with water if needed, to be a complete meal replacement.(order from me if you cannot find it locally)

5.   Happy Tummy from Spirit Essences(order at Www.Christinachambreau.com/products.php) Flower essences are 100% safe, so see if any others seem to fit her problems. Nausea seems primary is why I suggest this one. 6.   Herbal peppermint or Mullein, Marshmallow root(better for the environment than Slippery Elm and a little more gentle) for the nausea.(1 teaspoon in 1 C hot water, stir till cool). Give a teaspoon as needed.

7.      Feed real food(people food), baby food, A/D cans, fishy things, cream, ...try anything

9.   Mitomax, a great new probiotic that is excellent for digestive disorders - PetsMaxCity at my site.

Start with reading these, to maybe learn a little more about the holistic approach, then  FIND A HEALER, below. I can tell you already are interested in this approach and know a lot. 7 KEYS TO HEALTHY ANIMALS

1. Know the current level of health. Most health problems are the result of an underlying energy imbalance.  As we cure animals of "disease", we find that other things we thought were normal go away.  Your goal is for your animal to have great energy, no doggy odor, no hairball vomiting, little shedding, a glowing coat and many more. A complete list of these signs is below. In young animals, these apparently "normal" problems may be the only indications to start exploring new options for lifestyle or treatment.  Buy the Healthy Animal's Journal(www.HealthyAnimalsJournal.com) so you can see how these early warning symptoms and obvious ill symptoms change over time.  

2. Feed the best. What are the best diets for people or animals -- the most processed or the freshest, most organic?  The best ingredients should be the most consciously raised - local, organic vegetables, free ranging protein sources.  Briefly, the best diet for dogs and cats is raw meat including raw bones, pureed raw and cooked vegetables and a few supplements(Calcium if no bones are eaten is critical). Start as young kittens and puppies or at whatever age you read this(Brighthaven.org, a cat sanctuary switches 16 years old and older cats to raw meat diet and some have lived to 27 and 30). Second best is same quality, but cooked.  Even grocery store quality meat and vegetables are much better than most processed foods. Commercial raw food diets can be great to medium quality. Every animal needs and wants a different combination at different times in their lives, just as we do. With any food, observe each of your animals for the effect that food has on them. NEVER feed DRY food to cats - even as treats.

3. Vaccinate the least. Researchers in conventional veterinary medicine agree that we vaccinate too often, in too many combinations, and that this level of vaccination, while preventing epidemics, is harmful to the health of susceptible animals.  The AVMA now recommends that cats and dogs only be vaccinated every 3 years.  On-going studies show that antibodies are high 10 and 16 years later, so I recommend just a few baby shots then only rabies as needed to be legal. The insert in vaccine packages says “Give only to healthy animals”, so if your animal is ill in any way, or undergoing treatment, they should not be vaccinated. Vaccinated animals often develop many chronic conditions including cancer. Learn Reiki(see below) to help avoid vaccine problems. Purchase Vaccine Detox from Spirit Essences(order with a discount at www.ChristinaChambreau.com/products.php - scroll down to Spirit Essences) and give for a week before and a week or two after each legally required vaccine. This can sometimes help even months after a vaccine reaction if they have developed some of the early warning signs(see below).  A wonderful list serve on vaccines, their harm and alternatives is at yahoo groups. To register, go to [email protected]

4. Use the fewest chemicals, remembering that there are chemicals in vaccines. Each animal is an individual and will respond differently to heartworm, flea and tick preventatives. Some are very sensitive to chemicals used in the yard or the house. Chemicals in foods can cause allergic type reactions. Healthy yards have lots of weeds. House cleaners can be made from foods and microfibril cloths clean like a charm. Healthy animals never get fleas and ticks.   

5. Understand how animals become ill and how they heal. First there is an energetic imbalance(they are just not right), then functional(the dog is itchy), then inflamed(skin is red, infected, swollen and hot) and finally tissue changes(thick, black skin). Results of any treatment can be no change, amelioration(current symptoms disappear with no other improvements, then return), suppression(current symptoms disappear and they become more ill) or a cure(everything about the animal to begins to improve, especially the overall energy level.)  

Keeping a journal is critical to determine what treatments are helping problems to become less frequent and less severe. You can stand firm with what you feel is working even if your professional disagrees and change approaches when needed.

Www.HealthyAnimalsJournal.com is a great one to use. 6. Learn different healing approaches. There are many different ways to stimulate your healing that you never need to give up trying. Flower essences, essential oils, homeopathy, acupuncture, massage, Reiki and chiropractic are a few. Classes are found through your health food store, by phone or on-line.

7. Select the best healers for each animal's health team. Most people want a veterinarian(preferably integrative) and an energy healer. You decide what needs to be tried next for your animal. When you realize the animal is not improving – seek different care.

FIND A HEALER

I strongly recommend finding an integrative veterinarian with whom to work. This is a person trained in many different approaches, including using conventional drugs only when absolutely needed. Working with one can increase the chance that your cherished companion  can live a long and healthy life. There are good ones and great ones, and a few that really are not even holistic. Go to www.VetAdviceLine.com and read the article in the library about selecting and working with a holistic veterinarian. There are other great articles there, as well. You can go to the web sites for each type of holistic practice and use their referral list to find one near to you:

I would strongly suggest doing the drive to see:

SUSAN SWANSON , DVM CAT CARE CLINIC, PC 126 HICKORY ST MAHTOMEDI , MN 55115 Phone: 651-429-4153 if her prices are right. She makes remedies of herbs and chinese herbs so it is easy to give to cats and she is an excellent cat practitioner. 1. Acupuncture and Chinese medicine: www.IVAS.org & www.TCVM.com

2. Homeopath(these can often help you by phone if no other holistic practitioners are nearby that you like): www.theAVH.org

3. Chiropractor - www.animalchiropractic.org

4. Wide range of other treatments: www.AHVMA.org, American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association

To become a homeopathic patient of Dr. Chambreau(me), email [email protected] for a handout on my practice or read it at my website. I can work by phone from anywhere in the US.  

There are also lots of practitioners and approaches that are used by trained people that you can find by searching the Internet.

YOU BE THE HEALER  

I also strongly recommend getting some training in understanding the wide range of approaches to health so you can be in charge of what you choose for treatments for your animals. This would include what I mentioned above: only vaccinating when young except for legally required Rabies(Do you get measles, mumps and polio every year of your life?  Did you know the package inserts say to only vaccinate healthy animals?) and exploring feeding fresh foods, not processed. What is best for you to eat – junky processed foods, or locally grown, fresh foods? Also, you can learn Reiki(which can take the "bad" out of vaccines and any needed drugs, or even make food healthier), massage, HTA, TTouch, flower essence therapy, aromatherapy, and many more things you can do to help heal your animals. In addition to classes(see below), there are many very good list serves filled with people experienced with not vaccinating and feeding raw meat diets. Go to yahoogroups.com and look for “Just say no 2 vaccs” and “Raw Paws”. As with human nutrition, there are many different opinions, so you need to experiment and see what makes your animals more or less healthy. Keeping a journal can help you decide what is working and what is not working(www.HealthyAnimalsJournal.com). www.ChristinaChambreau.com has a listing of courses taught by her and others that may help you. You can do searches online for the many other classes and lectures available. Go to www.theAVH.org for classes every November as part of the annual conference.

Healthy Animal Update is an emailed newsletter that is occasionally sent out – to sign up – go to www.ChristinaChambreau.com. While there check out classes and products. Good Health and looking forward to seeing you/hearing you in some of my classes. Please email me at [email protected] to let me know if any of these suggestions helped your animals become healthier, happier and saved you money.

Dr. Chambreau

REIKI:

From the book, Healthy Animal's Journal - "Reiki: Personally, I think every person who lives with or works with animals must know at least Level I Reiki. The practitioner places her hands upon the animal(or it can be done from a distance as some animals are too sensitive for direct touch) with the intent for healing to occur. The energy flows through the healer into the animal. This is based on directly applying Chi(energy) to rebalance the energy field so it no longer needs to produce the physical symptoms. It is a very good adjunct to any healing modality, especially to relieve pain and inflammation. It also "takes the bad out of" things. By doing Reiki on smelly water in restaurants I have been able to drink sweet tasting and smelling water. Use Reiki anytime that you must give injections, vaccines, drugs, flea or heartworm drugs, or other substances with potential toxicity. Hold the syringe or the drug in your hand until the heat clears, then hold your hand over the injection site, then daily offer the Reiki until your hands do not get hot(not needed any more).Do you work in a grooming salon, or kennel, or veterinary clinic, or barn or anywhere animals are being seen? Use your Reiki on any treatments to be given and to calm the animals. People have reported getting animals to eat by doing Reiki on their food.  http://www.reiki.org  . Get a free treatment at www.interdimensionalhealing.com. Great information on Reiki - http://www.reikicourse.orgKathleen Prasad is a wonderful teacher and works with my favorite sanctuary and holistic education center, BrightHaven www.brighthaven.org . Kathleen leads a free monthly telechat for anyone trained in Reiki and using it with animals. http://www.animalreikisource.com/ If you cannot find a Reiki Class near you(same class for people and animals as it connects you through an "attunement" to the healing energy of the universe, making you a channel of healing), three groups offer long distance, free, attunements. http://theholisticcare.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13" http://theholisticcare.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13, http://www.freereikiattunement.com   Another group that offers Reiki attunements, classes and training on-line www.ReikiBlessings.com and animal classes, too www.animalhealers.homestead.com/  A Reiki Class will be part of the PGFFD summer health classes in June in Bowie, www.HomeopathicAnimalCare.org

EARLY WARNING SIGNS OF ILLNESS FOR DOGS AND CATS

Most health problems are the result of an underlying energy imbalance, made worse from poor diet and vaccination.  They are rarely acute diseases(except injuries). Therefore, you may find that the problem does not clear up as you expect or it recurs. If so, you are dealing with an underlying predisposition to illness, and these clues to underlying ill health will help you select a remedy and monitor the results.  As we cure animals of "disease", we find

that certain other "NORMAL" things go away, too.  Do not be satisfied until most of the following symptoms are gone.  In young, apparently healthy animals, these apparently "normal" problems may be the only indications to start treatment. This is only the beginning of a list - as more animals are cured we will find new levels of health. Tracking these is easy when you use the Healthy Animal's Journal by Dr. Christina Chambreau(www.HealthyAnimalsJournal.com)

SKIN: doggy smell; attracts fleas a lot; dry, oily, lack-luster coat;

excessive shedding; not grooming,    ear problems - waxy, oily, itchy, recurrent mites; eye discharge, tearing, or matter in corner of eyes; raised third eyelid; spots appearing on iris; "freckles" appearing on face; whiskers falling out; fragile, thickened, distorted claws that are painful or sensitive to trim.

BEHAVIOR: Fears(of loud noises, thunder, wind, people, animals, life); too timid; too rough or aggressive(even at play); too hard to train; barks too much and too long; suspicious nature; biting    when petted too long; hysteria when restrained; clumsy; indolent; licking or sucking things or people too much; not using litter box or not covering stool.

DIGESTIVE: Bad breath; tarter accumulation; loss of teeth; poor appetite; craving weird things(rubber    bands, plastic, dirt, cat litter, paper, dogs eating dog or cat stools, rocks, sticks...); sensitivity to milk;    thirst - a super healthy cat on non dry food will drink at most once a week; red gum line; vomiting often, even hairballs more than a few times a year; mucous on stools; tendency to diarrhea with least    change of diet; obesity;  anal gland problems; recurrent parasites.

STIFFNESS when getting up, early hip dysplasia; tires easily in hot or cold weather; can no longer jump up on counters, or go up or down steps.

TEMPERATURE: Low grade fevers - Normal for healthy cats and dogs is

100-101.5. AGE & REPRODUCTION: Should live a long life(Shepards 17 years, Danes 12, cats 24). should be able    conceive easily, deliver normally, and not pass on "genetic breed" problems.  
Ray

Return to Pancreatic Cancer