Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Please Help - What Are The Different Symptoms Between Ovarian Cysts And Ovarian Cancer?

Ovarian Cancer Discussion Forum

Please Help - What Are The Different Symptoms Between Ovarian Cysts And Ovarian Cancer?

Postby Doire » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:13 pm

I am scheduled for a vaginal sonogram on Monday to see what is causing this sharp abdominal pain. I also have been feeling nauseous, ache, especially my lower back, have to pee a lot more often, and - am not sure if this relates - have pain in my left shoulder. My doc thinks my birth control is too strong for me, why I'm experiencing this, but to be safe, we're doing the sonogram.

I just have two questions:

1) From my symptoms, do you think I have an ovarian cyst?

2) Can anyone tell me the difference in symptoms between an ovarian cyst and ovarian cancer?

Thank you

I originally posted this on Women's Health, but I'm not getting anything.
Doire

Postby Donnally » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:17 am

Symptoms of ovarian cysts and ovarian cancer are almost identical to the lay person.
If anything, symptoms are often worse earlier in the case of cysts.

The fact that your Dr is sending you for a sonogram is an indication that even Dr's find it hard to differentiate based on symptoms alone.

Keep in mind that statistically cysts are far more common, especially in a woman as young as yourself.
Donnally

Postby Jimmie » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:41 am

I think you'll get a better response from this section.

A cysts, of any kind, anywhere is a harmless fluid fill sac.
Many teen and young women develop these.
They cause a lot of pain because they can grow quite fast and of course, they're taking up room in a space where there is no space for them.
Thus the pain because pushing tissue and muscle aside.

A tumor is a solid mass.
Ovarian cancer is a tumor.
A cancerous tumor is made up of mutated cells that attack and destroy as much healthy tissue they can before discovered.
This tumor could also be benign, not cancer. How old are you right now.
Personally those symptoms could also be signs of other problems, like a possible kidney infection because of the back pain you describe and abdominal pain.
Pain can sort of shoot out from an original place and generate pain in other areas of your body, yet it will have nothing to with that particular area.
Your nausea could be from shear nerves.
Your anxious, worried about this.
That can make someone very sick.
Try to relax, Wait and see your results.
I wish you the very best. I hope all goes well for you.
Be blessed
Jimmie

Postby Riku » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:11 pm

A diagnosis cannot be made from symptoms alone otherwise your doctor would have been able to do so. Symptoms of ovarian cancer are very non-specific and one cannot tell by symptoms alone what is causing them and they are often the same if it is a cyst or a tumor.
Riku

Return to Ovarian Cancer