Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Please help? CT scan?

Talk about Stomach Cancer diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Please help? CT scan?

Postby luxovious » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:53 am

They're doing a CT scan of my stomach and pelvic region to look for cancer in the colon, small intestine, etc. They gave me these huge bottles of contrast to drink beforehand, and I wondering, if it is cancer or even advanced cancer, would the contrast irritate it? I've read that the most common side effect of contrast is usually gastroentestinal, and that's the area I'm concerned about and don't want to irritate. Even triggering vomiting or diahrrea would make me nervous about affecting anything, but why about actual irritation in the stomach? Or I read about polyps, would it irritate those of they're there? Thanks.

Also, they're giving me two contrasts: the kind you drink two big glasses of gross tasting stuff, and the IV contrast. Why would they need two, or is there a mistake? Thanks again.
luxovious

Please help? CT scan?

Postby livingston » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:54 am

They want your entire digestive tract FULL. Diarrhea from the contrast will not irritate anything like tumors/polyps.
livingston

Return to Stomach Cancer