Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Please Do Me A Favor If You Have A Minute? Lq?

The latest news from Cancer Trials and Cancer Research around the world.

Postby taneli » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:17 am

Hey everyone, I have a friend who runs barrels professionally. Her brother is in the U.S. military and she constantly worries for him. Now her grandma has cancer, and they don't know if she can receive treatment. Today the doctor told them their insurance probably won't go through and cover it. Times are hard for her.

I entered this contest for her to get her one of these to be a reminder of her family and nothing can separate them. She can attach it to her saddle to run barrels and have them with her.

Will you guys PLEASE like my name on this link? If you don't have time, it's okay. But anyone willing to help... THANK YOU. This will be the best condolence present after the news today. Name is 'Meagan Richard's. https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=29...

LQ;

What is the worst illness you've had to face with your horses or assisting someone with their horses? How did the situation resolve?
taneli

Postby Aquilino » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:18 am

I went ahead and liked it.

I understand; my gramma passed away due to lung cancer six months ago and my grampa is on his last dew weeks due to cancer as well. My heart goes out to your friend, I hope you are able to win the prize.

LQ: oh where do I start....pigeon fever, strangle, viruses and such. It took time. At the time my gramma owned the marecare facility and it just swept on through one year. Both fever and strangles. We are very lucky we didn't loose any of our mares or young foal crop at the time.
Aquilino

Postby shannon81 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:20 am

I went ahead and liked it! So sad, I'm a wilmstumor (kidney cancer) survivor and my mother recently got cancer as well. Unfortunately my mom probably won't make it as well as I did :[ Best of luck to your friend!
shannon81

Postby Garon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:21 am

Fudge sounds impressive! visitors can nibble on it on the reception in the event that they get the urge to! while, with the maple syrup, they might prefer to attend til they get residing house and get pancakes or toast for it. so some distance as being seasonally applicable, i think of fudge continues to be an incredible selection because of the fact chilly climate is upon us. A cup of espresso or yet another warm beverage with fudge sounds like an incredible thank you to spend the day interior!
Garon

Postby Orsen » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:23 am

Liked.

An arabian went wild on a fellow student at my barn in the middle of winter and took off out of the barn. She was crazy and running and bucking in the ice and snow. She slipped. She snapped both of her front knees.

We shot her immediately.

I am sorry for your friends situation.
Orsen

Postby Cuthbeorht » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:26 am

My thoughts go out to your friend. I recently went through a tough time as well so I know how much support from friends helps. She's lucky to have you as a friend.

LQ:

As far as illness goes... I honestly hate Cushings. I hate what it does to the horse. It dwindles them down to nothing, makes them prone to founder, makes their coats dull and shaggy. Though it's not a painful illness, it's a fast, progressive one and I hate seeing the horse dwindle away, even with meds.

I'm also going to add an injury. The worst horse injury I've seen was a horse skewered by a T-post. My friend's family uses "mobile" fencing in the summer. They use T-posts and electra-braid so they can move the pasture around so the horses don't wear out the grass. One day, we were riding and a few deer hopped out of the woods. The horses spooked, my friend was thrown and her horse bolted, then crashed into the T-post fencing. Though the posts are capped, it still literally skewered the horse, like a poor kabob, just behind the rib cage in the middle of his gut. We got the horse to settle, I think he was in shock. We cut the electric rope from the post (thank God the fence charger was not on and we had a pocket knife on hand.) and left the post where it was. She called her vet while I tried to keep the horse still and take his tack off. The vet showed up within 20 minutes. He immediately sedated the horse after we got him back inside the barn.

After about three hours of cleaning and stitching, he got the horse closed up.

I don't remember what all he said was damaged, but it was extremely serious and he may not make it through the night. At this time it was well into the night and I wished them well and headed home.

The next day I called. After he woke up and was stable, they hauled him to the clinic.

After a week and one more surgery, he was able to come home and is still alive and well.

THAT, was the worse horse health issue I've ever seen.
Cuthbeorht

Postby Lindisfarne » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:28 am

sorry to hear her situation, & I liked it.

LQ: Our worst situation was when my cousin's horse had a cut on her leg. We got medicine for her, but it still got infected. She was in her 30's so I guess her body couldn't fight it anymore. We ended up putting her down, because she wasn't having a very good life because she was just living in a stall. Don't mean to offend anyone but I really don't think living in a stall is much of a life. Anyways, she didn't like it and neither did we, so we just put her out of her misery. She had a good life once my cousin bought her (she was a rescue)
Lindisfarne

Postby Jaymes » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:34 am

THANK YOU all for the likes, stories, and warmth. It's much appreciated.

Unfortunately, we didn't win. Apparently you can win multiple times and there's one girl who must have tons of connections. I came in with 40some, she got 80. The rest were generally in the 2-15 range. SO, I am still proud and feel the support was immense... thank you, thank you, thank you.

I am still going to try and purchase one for her, but I will need to get around 30$. Most of my 'extra' cash went to Christmas, so I'll have to wait 'til next paycheck.

You're all SO kind and generous. Thanks for the prayers for those who religiously believe in that!
Jaymes

Postby William » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:36 am

Liked it. Good luck!

To be honest, I've been incredibly lucky and none of my horses have ever gotten sick. The worst thing that's happened was an injury, not an illness, my 2 year old appy/arab had been sticking his front leg through the sheep fencing and pulling back and he had a nasty cut on the back of his pastern. Vet had to come out twice and he wrapped it up the second time. All together the bill was less than $200 still though. Like I said, I've been lucky *knock on wood*.
William

Postby Pelltun » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:37 am

I liked your name. I hope things improve for your friend soon and I hope you win her a gift.

The sickest a horse of mine has ever been was when Rags had strangles. There was an outbreak at my boarding stable earlier this year. A new horse at the neighbor's barn was infected. Some lessons kids walked over to the neighbor's to pet the new horse, then walked back over to the boarding stable and pet all the horses in the barn there. About half of them came down with it. Rags had no symptoms other than an abscess in one lymph node. He was happy, had a ravenous appetite, and no fever. He was treated and overcame his illness quickly with no complications. The other horses were lucky too. My riding instructor knew what it was right away, and quickly quarantined all the infected horses. My other horse, Ursula, never caught it.

Working for a vet for four years, I've seen a lot of sick horses. Three cases stand out most in my mind for worst illness ever...

One horse was an Arabian gelding who had botulism. When he came to the clinic, he was already unable to swallow and was unable to move his tail. Within the next few hours he progressively became paralyzed starting at the tail and moving its way up his body. I just remember one of the vet techs doing something with him outside his stall. His stall was in an open barn that was right by the driveway so he was standing in the driveway when he just collapsed. His hind end gave out and he could no longer stand or walk. It took four of us to drag him back into his stall, where we propped him up on a hay bale. He was dead by that afternoon. Botulism is usually treatable but it was too late for this gelding. It was so sad.

Even more terrible than that was the paint mare that got caught in a high tensile wire fence and "degloved" her left front leg. Her leg was completely stripped of tissue down to the bone from knee to fetlock. After three weeks of aggressive antibiotic treatment and bandaging she had to be put down.

The most traumatic of all was a thoroughbred mare that had been left in an enclosure without water on an extremely hot July afternoon. Her owners brought her in with severe colic. She had an impaction in her upper GI. The impaction was so severe that about ten minutes after arriving at the clinic her stomach ruptured. It was such a sudden, violent, bloody death, and what's even more sad is that it could have been prevented if the owners had checked her water that day.

So, as a lesson to everyone, make sure your horses always have access to water. Do not pasture horses in high tensile wire, and if you notice your horse is ill, contact a veterinarian right away. Don't put it off until it's too late!
Pelltun

Next

Return to Cancer News and Clinical Trials