Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Picking shore duty orders after limdu?

Talk about Stomach Cancer diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Postby fanuco15 » Fri May 11, 2012 5:52 pm

My husband is a MM on a sub. We were supposed to go to shore duty over a year and a half ago but we kept extending on the boat. In Oct he was bsp'ed from sea with a mass in his throat which turned out to be cancer. He was put on limdu after his tonsilectomy in Nov because the cancer had spread to his lymph nodes. After 6 weeks of radiation and chemo everything is gone. He is cancer free. The dr that put him on limdu gave us the paper saying he was fit for full duty (after just 1 6 months of limdu =) ) but he is not deployable for 1 yr due to the fact that he needs to be available for follow up appointments for the first year. His sea tour is up anyway, we are no longer attached to a sub, we knew going in that we would be forced to go to shore duty. My question is now what? PSD has the paperwork, they said it will take 5 days, he has to have some paperwork filled out by another navy doc which he's going to try and initiate tomorrow. How long will this process take? When will we pick orders? Will it be like before when we were up for orders (they'll give us choices and we chose from a list)? His master chief has told him that he is going to help him get what he wants but how much help can he be? I've been reading that after limdu, the detailers just give you whatever they want to and we may have to report immediately. I'm worried we will have very little time to prepare to move to God knows where. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you!
fanuco15

Postby prince » Fri May 11, 2012 5:53 pm

It will depend on what orders are available and if there is any Hot billets meaning they need someone there asap. They might try to keep him in the same location if he is getting treatment there if it is possible and because it saves the Navy money. But if there isn't then you are going to have to do a quick move so something you do needed to be prepared for. We had one move that was from overseas to stateside with only 29 days notice so it is possible. If you are not up to date with paperwork such as POAs for moving then you will need to do it.
prince

Postby jago51 » Fri May 11, 2012 6:02 pm

My guess is you won't have much choice but it will probably be in an area located near a military hospital that has cancer clinic. Good luck..............................
jago51

Postby custenhin » Fri May 11, 2012 6:13 pm

really there is no way to tell what will happen as I also suspect he will be required to stick close to a Major Treatment Facility: Tripler, Bethesda, Portsmouth and Balboa.

so that alone could SERIOUSLY limit his options.
custenhin

Return to Stomach Cancer