Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Genetic Testing For Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Phantom smell, was it real or not?

Anything relating to brain tumors symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Postby atley » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:16 am

Hi, I stayed up for a good 15 hours or so - went to bed and fell asleep without knowing it for about a hour, turned over and checked the clock and got confused about how I managed to fall asleep. So I went back to sleep and woke up a few hours later and every time I breathed in I smelled something that smelled like sweet burnt rice. My mother couldn't smell it.

But, if I buried my nose into the pillow it would go away or if I covered my nose with my hands.
When I wen't to my grandfathers house because the smell was making me sick to my stomach it was still somewhat there I think - but I couldn't tell. I think the clinging of the smell was because I watched a episode of House with a religious girl with a phantom smell issue she had.
But it's scaring me since I know these phantom smells are BAD. But I'm 18, so I'm sure a stroke or aneurysm is highly unlikely. I also had my brain scanned for tumors at the start of summer.

So I'm hoping the smell was existent, but my mothers dull senses couldn't smell it. ( She's been in a few car wrecks. )

TL;DR slept without knowing for a hour, smelled sweet burnt rice, scared its a phantom smell, went away when I buried my nose and left the house

I'd also like to add I touched a pumpkin with mold on the inside but I disinfected my fingers right after.
atley

Postby taveon » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:19 am

You might have a sinus infection. Some infections result in a sickly sweet smell, and since only you could smell it, that's the probably location. Drainage from the sinuses could easily upset your stomach too.

There are also minor fungal infections on the tongue that could cause the smell, and the fact that the smell is really nasty could upset your stomach. Those usually only happen to people with weakened immune systems.

Mold on a pumpkin? Not a problem. The only mold that's really dangerous to people is black mold found on bread. Mold on produce is nasty, and it might make you sick, but it's nothing to freak out about.

And you're right about your age. You're too young to worry about aneurysms, tumors or strokes or anything else like that. At 18, your main issue over your health would be a college campus. My first semester, I was sick as a dog because I was surrounded with people from everywhere in the state and some people across the country that were bringing in all sorts of stuff from everywhere. Watching House, huh? Have you forgotten Occam's razor? They mentioned it on the show plenty of times. "Simpler explanations are, other things being equal, generally better than more complex ones." You probably have a sinus infection or any number of URIs (upper respiratory infections). ^_^
taveon

Return to Brain Tumors