Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Pancreatic Cancer... Doctors Say They Found No Cancer Cells In A Ct Scan?

Pancreatic Cancer Discussions

Postby Nixen » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:49 am

Last year, my grandma found out she had pancreatic cancer that had spread to her liver. She has been doing chemotherapy I think every other week since the diagnosis. It's been a rough time for us and she's loved by so many... so anyway. Slowly the cancer count ha gone down, and in the recent CT scan the doctor said they couldn't find any cancer cells in her body... great news!:) But it seems almost to good to be true. Could there be some chance there is still cancer that didn't get picked up from the scan? Or is she in remission?
Nixen

Postby Hoat » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:50 am

Cancer cells can't be detected by scan. Maybe it's no sign of tumor... Never heard of remission with pancreatic cancer.
Hoat

Postby Flinn » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:52 am

No doctor would say that sorry.

It is impossible to see anything on the cellular level without a microscope.

Without surgery there is no chance of cure.
Flinn

Postby Galway » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:53 am

Medicine is all about chances, nothing is really certain. Cells are small and CT-scans can't visualize single cells, because of its low resolution. Maybe all cells died, maybe not, maybe the cancer will come back, maybe not. The only thing your grandmother and her doctors can do is monitor her condition over the coming years.
Galway

Postby lamar23 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:54 am

Livers are stupid organs meaning until the conditions are severe, sometimes tests will not reveal the abnormalities. Scanning and blood tests aren't 100% conclusive measures. Even a biopsy does not provide an absolute result, because it only shows a part of the liver. I have several acquaintances who have had cancer of the liver, but doctors discovered it when it's too late. I'm not trying to make you worry, but to inform you what could happen. Work with your physician, if you aren't satisfied with the physician, get a second opinion. Good luck :):}
lamar23

Postby Tupac » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:01 am

That's really great news! Your grandmother's cancer has responded to the chemotherapy! A lot of cancer patients show just very minimal or no response to chemotherapy, which is why the average pancreatic cancer patient lives only around 6 months following diagnosis. Your grandmother has already beaten those odds! This is the alternative your grandmother has happily escaped: docs administer chemo, and there's no response. Or just the tiniest response, and then the person weakens and dies, all within a few months of diagnosis. So I want you to understand how great this news you've just gotten is! BUT: (and there's always a but), when you get a situation where chemo has killed all visible evidence of disease, that means that it may have killed like 99.9% of the tumor. But there's still that .01% of the tumor cells in the body. No CT scan can pick up the presence of those cells. So she's gotten a clean CT scan result, which is much better than still having visible evidence of disease. But there probably are still cancer cells there. I can't say if she's in remission or not. If the doc didn't say "you are in remission", then I must think she's not truly in remission.
Yet even if the doc says "remission", that still means that there are cancer cells there. That's why they say "in remission" and not "cured". The cancer will thus likely come back, and there's no telling how soon that will happen. Months or years. So appreciate this time you have with her. It is a blessing!
Tupac

Postby Bjorn » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:10 am

I concur with the above.

CT scans will only show something at a particular resolution and anything smaller might be missed. So it might be worth going for a more in depth scan like a PET scan if that is available.

Saying that, if the CT is showing up negative and the doctors are happy with her progress, that may be an (expensive) overkill and no doubt she will be given regular check ups by her oncologist. Her bloodwork and bone marrow will also be able to distinguish whether the cancer is still present.

Take this good news. No one can say she won't relapse, but no one can say she will. For the moment, this is good news so enjoy her.

I hope this helps.
Bjorn

Postby Salem » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:16 am

Pancreatic Cancer has a low survival rate. Your grandma is lucky that she found the cancer early and that treatment has been successful so far. If the doctors are saying she's in remission, then they are sure that she is cancer-free for the time being. This doesn't mean that it won't come back. She may have a relapse, but she will have close monitoring over the next 5 years in order to detect a cancer relapse. Don't worry, enjoy the time you have with your grandma. She was truly luck to be around today. Most pancreatic cancer patients die within a month or two of diagnosis.
Salem

Return to Pancreatic Cancer