Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: New Research – Double Mastectomy Not Improving Survival Rates

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Nerves tingle when I laugh/cough + numb face?

The latest news from Cancer Trials and Cancer Research around the world.

Postby paegastun » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:21 am

About three years ago ( I was 18 at the time) I was rushed to the hospital as I showed signs of a stroke ( left side of face drooping/ numb and speech slightly slurred). The doctors kept me for a few hours but then sent me home, saying that it was nothing more than a virus settling on my nerve system. Since that night I have yet to recover 100% physically.
I can no longer sleep on my left side, as my left side easily becomes numb under pressure.
When I work out, the left side of my face starts to feel numb and I feel slightly heavy in the head.
These have been continuous symptoms, but recently two others that only happened every once in a while as grown worse.
One is that I am nearly always constantly tired in the head, so to speak. It feels as if there’s constantly too much pressure, which has, according to others, changed my personality from ‘energetic and bubbly’ to ‘drowsy and serious’.
The thing that bothers me the most is that whenever I do laugh (
or cough) the nerves in my arms go crazy. It feels as if someone is tapping on them, and it’s such an uncomfortable feeling that I can no longer enjoy a good joke, because I don’t want to laugh and have those awful tingling sensations.

According to my doctors, nothing is wrong. I’m ‘just imagining things’.
It makes me frustrated, as I’ve never had any physical trouble before that day I ended up in the hospital. I’ve always had a healthy, strong body and a strong immune system. But since that day it seems as if my immune system is slowly shutting down.
I’ve even developed allergies towards pollen and food products that I never had any trouble with before that night.

Does anyone recognize the symptoms I’m experiencing?

I know I should feel I’m able to trust the words of my doctors, but recently there have been way too many news articles about people being sent home with the simple order to take some pain medication, only to end up dead the next day/ week. A friend of my mothers recently found out that the pain in her back she has been living with for six months, which her doctor told her to take some over the counter pain medication for, is bone cancer. Which would’ve been treatable six months ago.

I’m at the moment 21 years old and I try to live as healthy of a life as I can. But I can’t shake the feeling that something is wrong and that I need to fix it before it’s too late.
paegastun

Postby amikam » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:24 am

Coming from my own experiences, don't go to that doctor if s/he can't help you! I found out what was wrong with me after three other doctors have me the wrong diagnosis. If there is another doctor's office nearby, go to that doctor, and tell them your symptoms, how long you've had them, and that your previous doctor has examined you, but cannot identify correctly what to do to help.
So sorry for all your chills and tingles. Hopefully another will fix you to your best health. (:
amikam

Return to Cancer News and Clinical Trials