Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

My uncle is dying from cancer? :( help please?

Pancreatic Cancer Discussions

Postby hayward98 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:10 am

I just found out my Uncle has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. The survival rate is extremely low and I don't know how to deal with the thought of loosing him. It's my mom's brother and she already lost her mother to breast cancer at a young age, and her sister (my aunt) has breast cancer but is doing okay. I don't want my Uncle to die he is so young, and it's just not fair at all. He has children, and my one cousin who is 6 doesn't know his father is even sick. I love my cousins soooo much and their whole family depends on him. What will they do if he dies? I can't stop thinking about him especially after seeing him today. My father/mother who are both doctors said he only had a few months, maybe a year left. I'm worried about my mother who is an alcoholic/struggles with depression/etc. because in no way can she handle it. He was also my dad's best friend. I'm afraid my mom is going to drink herself to death if my Uncle dies because before this she was in no way stable. I love him so much I can't handle just watching him die. I can't accept I only have a few months left with him. So many people need him, i don't know how my family will be able to cope.

I need advice please
hayward98

Postby cecilius27 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:21 am

Wait, pancreatic, as in pancreas? Like, the helper of another organ that stores extra sugar? Can't you get that removed...?
cecilius27

Postby colston » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:31 am

My grandmother died from it in 2003. My whole family changed we drifted apart and went on our own ways. Be there for your Uncle and it will be hard but it is the best thing to do. As for your mother do your best to help her without inabling her. Enjoy the time you have with him. As for the cousins help out with them honoring your uncle while he's alive and beyond that.
colston

Postby kiba » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:36 am

I'm incredibly sorry your family has to go through this, especially your cousins. My heart goes out to the family.

My uncle died from cancer last year, too. He was diagnosed but only told his son, and kept it from his whole family. He fainted one day in the house, and that's when he was hospitalized. Two days later he was on life support, three days later he was gone. It happened so quick and everyone was devastated.

Any loss in the family is hard and you have to remain strong for your cousins. My uncle's grandchildren kept asking me, "What is heaven? Where did he go?" I had to babysit them since everyone else was at the hospital at the time of his death.

Spend as much time as you can with your uncle, and be there for your cousins. If the family decides to tell them what's happening, they may when they decide it's best. It's a painful struggle but you guys will be okay if you all stick together, watch out and care for each other, and make every day of your uncle's life a great one. If your mom does delve into alcohol and depression, be there for her and get her help asap. I wish your family the best in these hard times.

[hugs]
kiba

Return to Pancreatic Cancer