Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: New Research – Double Mastectomy Not Improving Survival Rates

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

My Neutro Auto count is 38.2% (norm 44-85) and my Lymph Auto count is 49.4% (norm 10-40) Is this a concern?

Leukemia and blood cancer discussion.

My Neutro Auto count is 38.2% (norm 44-85) and my Lymph Auto count is 49.4% (norm 10-40) Is this a concern?

Postby rook83 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:01 am

Jeane,
Neutro Auto count is 38.2% (norm 44-85) = A “normal” neutro count is 50 percent to 70 percent. Manual counts involve putting a smear of blood on a slide and then counting and identifying a specific number of cells. Automated counts, while faster, are felt not to be as accurate. Therefore your result may not be of concern even though it presents as low. Neutrophils are essential in protecting the body against disease and infections by removing and destroying some types of bacteria, wastes, foreign substances, and other cells. Approximately 50% to 70% of white blood cells are neutrophils. Neutrophils are the most common type of white blood cell. When the number of neutrophils are abnormally low (less than 1500), this condition is known as neutropenia. Neutropenia can be caused by a decreased production of neutrophils. The cause of a decreased production of neutrophils includes leukemia, damage to the bone marrow - and such damage can be caused by infections, medications, and radiation, aplastic anaemia. Lymph Auto count is 49.4% (norm 10-40) = A “normal” Percentage Lymphocytes count is 15-40% of White Blood Cells. When the general defence systems of the body have been penetrated by dangerous invading microorganisms, lymphocytes help provide a specific response to attack the invading organisms. There are many possible causes for an abnormally high lymphocyte count. A lymphocyte level that is more than 40% is considered to be abnormally high. Some basic causes of a high lymphocyte count are the flu and chickenpox(varicella). Other causes of a high lymphoocyte level include tuberculosis, mumps, rubella, whooping cough, brucellosis, and herpes simplex. Neither of your reported readings are what would be termed as “abnormally high” or “abnormally low” but they are both below and above their respective “normal” limits and you would be best advised to discuss this result with your doctor.
It is important to keep in mind that, no matter what I write about “normal” readings, the ranges mentioned above will be different depending on the machine used to do the blood test. You should always use the normal range printed on the lab report to decide what range is normal.

ALL ANSWERS SHOULD BE THOROUGHLY RESEARCHED, IN ANY FORUM AND ESPECIALLY IN THIS ONE. - MANY ANSWERS ARE FLAWED.

It is extremely important to obtain an accurate diagnosis before trying to find a cure. Many diseases and conditions share common symptoms.

The information provided here should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.

Hope this helps
matador 89
rook83

Return to Leukemia Forum