Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

My Mom just died of lung cancer.?

Lung Cancer discussions, another of the most common forms of cancer

Postby werner75 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:50 am

Back in december of 2008 my moms doctor noticed a small shadow on my moms lung, he set up an appt in the nearest town for a petscan (think thats what it was called) for march of 2009 ,my mom went to that appt and had the scan done and was told that the spot was notcancerous. Well righyt about that time the doctors office switched her doctor to a different one, and between 2009 and today they have switched her doctors several times (they keep leaving and moving) well my mom has battled bronchitis and pneumonia several times since then, but never again was anything said about the spot, a few weeks ago i took her to the er because she thought she was getting bronchitis againand her voice sounded like she had laryngitis, well 5 hours later were told that actually sh has cancer than has metastzed to her liver and spine, she went and got a biopsy done to determine what kind of cancer and was put on hospice care. well my moms sister was talking to their doc the next day and he told my aunt he was pissed off because noone had ever put the info about the spot on her lungs into her charts, he said he found it in the computer, it just never got entered into her charts or records, so none of the doctors ever knew about it to keep tabs on it. My mom died and im wondering if this would be a good case to sue for malpractice. thankyou for any help. ps we live in nevada if it matters
werner75

Postby raynard41 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:51 am

im so sorry to hear about ur mom. i lost my grandma in 2005 to lung cancer. i feel ur pain.
raynard41

Postby cappi » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:01 pm

I'm very sorry for your loss. Patients have to be their own advocates as well. Since she was changing doctors all the time, she should have made sure they all knew about the spot on her lungs. Sure, the docs (or their clerks) slipped up, but she shares some responsibility for not pursuing her concerns, if any.

Whether she changed doctors or the doctors changed on her doesn't matter. My point was that she needed to be vigilant on her own behalf. This doesn't excuse the doctors' messy record-keeping; I was just pointing out that not everything is a lawsuit. Sometimes people just get hit with stuff that cannot be treated successfully.
cappi

Postby che » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:20 pm

The tests in 2009 indicated that the spot was non-cancerous. They can not make a definitive statement like that with a scan alone, but they can be pretty close. So it is possible she developed it some time after the original PET. In this case, since the scan was negative for cancer, the doctors probably would not have followed up on it.

Did she never get another chest X-ray in all the time she thought she was battling bronchitis? A failure to make a diagnosis is likely not going to be a good basis for a malpractice suit, but a lawyer might take it on anyway. Contact one and see if he thinks you have a case.
che

Postby avram » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:22 pm

No dr keeps records in his head... When I go to dr, they get on the computer and look up my previous visits, bp, meds, etc. It's quite possible she didn't feel the need for further testing because she didn't feel there was a problem. Anyway, if it's in their computer, that's part of her records.
avram

Return to Lung Cancer