Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: United Kingdom Seeing Increase in Skin Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

My mom had estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer, should I be taking birth control?

Discuss Breast Cancer, one of the most common forms of cancer in the world today.

My mom had estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer, should I be taking birth control?

Postby bercnan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:10 pm

I know, ask your doctor. But we just got the results today (after months of waiting) so I'm curious to know. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer just before the summer. After a partial mastectomy and radiation she is completed treatment. We just found out it was estrogen receptor positive; which means she has the option of going on Tamoxifen (which we are still unsure about if you have any information on that as well). But I'm interested to know if it would be a good idea for me to not be on birth control? Regular birth control doesn't work for me, I have to be on a high estrogen pill for it to be effective. So should I start considering other options so I don't increase my already high risk of getting breast cancer? Thank you.
bercnan

Postby manolo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:13 pm

If your mother is the only person in your family that has had breast cancer then your chances of getting are not really any higher than the next woman. If there have been a few women who have had it then you need to be checked for the BRCA2 gene. If it were me I would probably be speaking to my doctor to see if there were another type of contraception I could use, just to be on the safe side.
manolo

Postby baeddan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:22 pm

What you need to find out if your mom is positive for either the BRCA-1 or BRCA-2 tumor suppressor protein mutations. Those are the mutations that put you at an increased risk of breast cancer because your DNA does not possess the power to suppress cell mutations in your breasts.

However, if you are negative for both, continue taking birth control. most breast cancer carcinomas are estrogen-receptor positive. This only pertains to her specific tumor, and not that her breasts were estrogen-receptor positive for cancer.
baeddan

Postby donalt » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:30 pm

Stop using any kind of hormonal birth control. Why even take the risk? Besides cancer, it can cause blood clots and all kinds of things, especially if you've taken it for a long time.
donalt

Return to Breast Cancer