Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Cancer Rates in September 11 Responders Rising

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

My kitten sniffed the nose of a positive feline leukemia cat how likely will my kitten get this! I called my?

Discuss Lymphoma, Hodgkins Lymphoma, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma

My kitten sniffed the nose of a positive feline leukemia cat how likely will my kitten get this! I called my?

Postby naseem » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:05 pm

vet and she said to have him tested in 3 months I am a wreck this happened at the pet store I go two to have his nails clipped please help!!!
naseem

Postby kiba » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:10 pm

Okay so i Adopted a FILV positive kitten at the humane society and i have a 1 yr old cat well needless to say they did have small interaction between the time i got him to the vet and found out he had FILV.
And my cat she had not had her shots to protect her from this.

Frist off i will calm your nerves by saying, you kitten will most likely be okay. its more contagious with continues inter action more by cleaning one another and saliva. And kittens who do not contract it by there mother, there immune system will be able to fight it off. Also if your vet did not suggest get them there vaccines for FIV.

And yea Feline leukemia in cats are contagious. it's only called leukemia because it attacks there lymphoid's if you were it acts more like the A.I.D's virus in humane's because normally it is passed on threw mating.

As some one who has been threw this your kitten really should be fine, but yes test in 3 months and then another 3 months because if they are not born with it and they did not mate with a positive cat there body and white blood cells will get rid of it. good luck I'll pray for you kitty because FIV is really hard to watch any cat suffer threw. Also it may not be a bad idea to pick them up some extra kitten vitamins to help there immune system stay strong. Hope i helped!! keep us updated!
kiba

Postby prescott81 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:22 pm

It takes repeated close contact to spread, one sniff isn't going to do it. There's several FeLV lists on YahooGroups and owners there have cats who have lived together for years who never caught it from their other cat who was positive for it.
prescott81

Postby fremont » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:24 pm

While your vet is right, no one really knows how contagious FeLV is - it's shared exposure, whatever that means. Unfortunately, the more 'immature' a cat's immune system is, the easier it is for them to contract it. And it can take up to 90 days from exposure to it showing up in the blood stream, which is why they said three months. I'd be concerned, but one sniff is not likely to pass it - probably. The pet store is very irresponsible to have cats with FeLV in there where people bring their cats, and quite honestly, I'd be finding another place to get his nails trimmed. The fact that they are offering to have him tested doesn't make up for their irresponsibility, not in my mind.
fremont

Postby adamko » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:30 pm

Theres not much you can do until you get him tested. :/ How old is he? How many shots has he had?
adamko

Postby leon » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:33 pm

50/50 chance. This is why you keep your cat in a carrier so its not exposed to possible sick animals. I hope your kitten is ok. Shots won't prevent FELV. And do NOT give your kitten the shot if he's been exposed now.

Also if you have other cats at home this kitten must be isolated and tested. I'd test him more then just once in 3 months - I'd retest and isolate an additional 3 months if you have other cats. If he tests positive you cannot have around any negative cats.
leon

Postby aghamore61 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:38 pm

I agree with Lexilove - has he had any Feline Leukemia / FIP vaccinations?

Your vet is right in waiting - it may take awhile for any positive results to show up on the test.

Finally, don't listen to that first douchebag that answered - apparently they know nothing about small animal diseases & medicine, and are completely wrong about FeLV not being contagious.

Good luck, and I hope things turn out ok!!
aghamore61

Postby jamieson » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:43 pm

It's not contagious. It's just like humans; if you hug someone with cancer, aids, HIV. You cannot get it from them.
jamieson

Return to Lymphoma