Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

My Husband Has Pancreatic Cancer And With The Doctors Terminology I Am So Confused.?

Pancreatic Cancer Discussions

My Husband Has Pancreatic Cancer And With The Doctors Terminology I Am So Confused.?

Postby Eallair » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:26 pm

My husband has pancreatic cancer that has metastasis to his sternum. he has been taken gemzar for 3 months now and his cancer is shrinking. on his latest P.E.T. uptake between his right clavicle and the right scapula soft-tissue density on the scan. uncertain vascular uptake or potential nodal metastatic disease. Then has persistent hypermetabolic malignancy residual is still present in the pancreatic body and the sternum. New small focal increased uptake in muscles in right upper lateral chest near shoulder joint is likely nonspecific.
Interval new finding of focal FDG uptake in the right shoulder area is most likely nonspecific muscular uptake. Nodal metastasis is less likely. I am so confused and scared of losing him. The doctor says that he'll be on chemo indefinitely. he was diagnosed 9/11/08 and he is in so much pain. He's taken oxy and vicodin. Does anyone know what are these medical terms mean? Is he getting worse? Does he have Nodal metastasis? His arms hurt him so bad and the doctor just tells him that he doesn't understand why he'll hurt. Please help me. My nerves are shot but I need the truth. I am thinking of getting hospice to help him with his pain.
Eallair

Postby MackIntosh » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:28 pm

MackIntosh

Postby Gram » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:42 pm

Given that the most likely age on onset is 73 I doubt he has this. Doctors no a days don't miss very much. I myself am getting awful unexplained pains every we're atm and doctors have no answer. I'd say u may a we'll keep searching but I as yet have found no answers and have seen numerous doctors. If he's stressed these symptoms can appear including jundice (sp) and get worse and worse as he focuses on them more (that's what I've been told anyway) so I suggest do NOT google symptoms, google is NOT a prfessional doctor and if u are going to google anything try anxiety. Its all them symptoms. I googled my symptoms and was told I have a brain tumor! Rediculous..I had a ct scan and it was clear! So yea don't google and just keep trying for answers. Gd luck
Gram

Postby Alon » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:46 pm

I am so sorry you are going through this rough time. I would definitely look into home based palliative care. Hubby needs that or a hospice. They will keep him pain free. My buddy had a home based palliative team. They were wonderful with him. They not only kept him pain free they taught us ( family and friends) how to help care for him. Just being there to help with a bath, or cut the lawn eased the helpless feeling.

Medical terms can be confusing and frightening, however there are a few places that explain them in layman's terms. Here you go.
Alon

Postby cwentun33 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:47 pm

LovingLife is correct.
Be a [email protected]$$ with the doctor; you have the right to know what is going on and what the medical jargon means.
cwentun33

Postby Sheiling » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:50 pm

You might think about getting a second opinion. Pancreatic Cancer is a very painful disease. The hurting that he is having could possibly be that the cancer has spread to the bone or it could be nerve pain. There are medications for either. You should absolutely check into Hospice. Hospice has come a long way and they can keep your husband out of pain. Hope this helps a little. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Sheiling

Postby Fernleigh » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:10 pm

What they are saying is there is new activity in his right shoulder area, but it isn?t clear exactly what it is. The radiologist thinks it looks more like something nonspecific than it does cancer. This is as much as they know.

Increased activity can be caused by inflammation, trauma and several other things. However, given his increased pain in this area it could very likely be early mets, it just doesn?t look that way on PET yet.

I agree with the others that you should have his doctor explain things you do not understand, but it doesn?t mean they will be able to tell you exactly what is happening, because they just don?t know. Your husband should not have to live with pain like that and his doctor needs to work with both of you to find some relief.

I am so very sorry for your situation, I can only imagine how horrible it must be. The truth is short of a miracle he will get worse, if not this week than sometime in the future. There is no chance of cancer getting better without the tumor being removed. I am so sorry. May God bless you both.
Fernleigh

Postby harmon » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:15 pm

First let me say that I am so sorry. Unfortunately when there is metastasis comfort is the main concern. As for all the medical terms you have to ask the doctors to explain things so that you can understand. Don't let them off easy. You need answers and they need to provide them. As far as the chemo you have to look at quality of life. If is is really only making him sick and not doing anything for the cancer then you have to consider stopping it and then go with Hospice. You have to stop all treatment to go on Hospice. It is a hard decision to make but it sounds like that is where you are at. Hang tough. Hospice is a wonderful program that will help to manage his pain and will also help with all the emotional stuff for you and your husband. The fear of loosing a loved one is hard to swallow. Spend quality time together because memories last a lifetime. I will say a prayer and God Bless.
harmon

Postby Alois » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:31 pm

I totally agree with everything - LovingLife - has said to you....

One thing you can do is make an appt with HIS doctor and go in and talk to him and tell him you want answers to the questions you have about your husbands condition.

When a cancer has taken on metastasis it is not a good out come because that means it is traveling....

YES get Hospice for him it will help you and if you have family it will help them greatly as well...When my mother was in this situation with Pancreatic/Colon/Liver cancer it was caught at Stage 4 she lived for only 3 months but at the end we did have Hospice for her and they are wonderful!

I just lost my MIL on Jan 7th to Liver Cancer. It was caught Stage 4 as well because Liver Cancer is not painful so it goes undetected usually until it is to late for any good form of treatment. We talked to her Oncologist yesterday and found her her exact reason for passing....

It began at the liver and then traveled to the liver and the lymph nodes in that area which then carried it to her bones - there was a spot on the back of her skull as well as on bones in her legs and shoulders. ****SHE had NO idea this was happening at all....I was literally less than a 1 month diagnosis - we got the final information on her dx 2 days prior to her passing.....

**You need to talk to his doctor and find out the stage he feels this cancer is at and then do some research on it online - google it.

That is one way to help yourself as well as know straight from the doctor what is happening. I would NOT have your husband present for that talk I would make it between you and he. Your husband will have to give permission to his doctor to talk to you so you can gently tell you husband you would like to know everything that is happening so you can make him as comfortable as possible and when he -- if he hasn't already -- gives that permission to the doctor then make that appt to see his doctor.

It's very important you stay as strong for him as possible --- that is going to be extremely hard for you but it helps him daily be able to cope with this....Pull resources in family and friends to comfort you as well and be totally honest with them as to how much information you want them to know.

--I wish you the absolute very best through this time. I am not going to lie to you -- it's going to be very difficult...But I send godo thoughts to you through this as a stranger to you on the net...I had many friends online help me through our process with my MIL - who was more than a MIL to me - I have been married for 20 1/2 years and my mother was not a 'real mother' to me growing up so I felt blessed to have Sharon in my life.....

**If you would ever like to talk please feel free to email me =)
Alois

Postby Morthwyl » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:45 pm

First let me say, I cannot imagine how hard this must be for you.
I wish there was something more than my words to help you.
You both will be in my thoughts and prayers today.
Morthwyl

Return to Pancreatic Cancer