Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Obesity Breast Cancer Linked Confirmed

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

My Husband has been lying about taking pills. What should I do?

Talk about Stomach Cancer diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Postby shandy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:01 am

My husband and I have been together for 7 years. Throughout the years I have seen a few pills in his dresser drawer but I never thought anything of it and never had any reason to. Fast forward to a few months ago he came home and said he needed to go to bed because he felt "loopy". He went to bed and a couple hours later I went up to check on him and he was standing at his dresser and I saw him take a pill. Then he got back in to bed. I waited for him to fall asleep and I looked at the pills. It was Klonopin. I woke him up to talk to him and his pupils were the size of pins. I waited a few more hours and woke him up and tore him a new one. To this day his story is never straight, but the jist of it is that he hurt his foot at work and he asked someone (who sells pills) for a percocet for the pain. The guy gave him Klonopin "by accident". He doesn't remember taking the pill that I saw him take. He said it would never happen again. Cut to he has stomach pain for days and I am convinced that it's his appendix so I bring him to the ER. They said it is an ulcer and give her percs for the pain. It was like 10 pills. He finishes them and I think that's it. I noticed that his pupils had been small and started saying something to him about it and he said that's just how they are. Well, again I saw him stand at his dresser and take a pill and when he went to the bathroom I found his stash of a few percs. I confronted him and this time he admitted that he had gotten wrapped up in taking them, had been spending about 100 bucks a week on them and he couldn't just stop. He spent the next few weeks weaning himself off and in the end I allowed him to take a klonopin at night for the last few nights to help him sleep. He had 5 left. This week I was in his drawer and there were still 5 of them there, but there was also an empty baggie and a cup of water that was on his dresser that would only be there if he was standing there taking one. Last night he was falling asleep sitting up so I went and checked and there were only 4 pills now. I asked him if his stomach had been hurting him lately, No. Have you taken any pills lately? Thinks about it, Not in weeks. Do you want to rethink that? Oh, yeah, I took on a few days ago. You are a liar. Oh, yeah I took one tonight but I was going to tell you about it. It's because I haven't been sleeping. Now we had made an agreement that if he felt like he was going to take something he would talk to me about it first and we would discuss it. I told him that if he had said he wanted to take one to sleep I would not be mad (I would not have let him do it tho). I then told him that he knows he has a pill addiction problem and him saying that he needed it to sleep was his mind looking for an excuse to take the pill and if he was going to tell me about it he would have told me the first time I asked. I told him he is a liar and that we were already working on rebuilding trust and now it has been broken anymore. He did not seem remorseful at all. Said he was sorry but he didn't think that one pill was that big of a deal. Now, we have a 15 month old, today is our 2 year wedding anniversary and we are supposed to go down the shore with my family on Friday. I am concerned for the life of my and my daughter if my husband continues down this path. I grew up with an alcoholic step father and I refuse to allow my daughter to grow up like I did. I do not know what to do to make him realize how big a deal this is. I was contemplating giving him a drug test on Friday and if he fails he can't come on the vacation with us. Any input would be appreciated. I just don't know what to do.
shandy

Postby hannraoi » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:09 am

"My Husband has been lying about taking pills. What should I do?"

Talk to him rather than me.
hannraoi

Postby albrecht » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:11 am

i would think that home intervention is a waste of time, pills are a different kind of addiction. if i were you, i would be seeking professional help to see what your dealing with. there are a lot of places you can get help. Dont give up on him, but demand that he gets help. i mean, the chances of him not waking up one day are very real. and if he dont want to get help, then you need to leave. you have a kid, and raising a child is hard enough without having to deal with a husband that has a problem he dont seem to see. it only goes downhill from here... good luck... #been there and done that...
albrecht

Postby wanahton56 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:24 am

say him that you know
wanahton56

Postby athmarr60 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:31 am

It is addiction. You will have to discuss with a psychiatrist. Your love and support is essential for him to deal with issue.
athmarr60

Postby nicholascage96 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:32 am

Why do I feel sorry for him? Hmm.
nicholascage96

Postby lyulf68 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:38 am

Of course he is addicted. You have to proceed like you would for an alcoholic. No excuses to his employers. No excuses if he gets stopped by cops. You can ask your family doctor or your insurance for help.

Get some money set aside for emergencies.
lyulf68

Return to Stomach Cancer