Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: NFL Continues to Raise Money for Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

My dogs dying... how do I cope?

Anything relating to brain tumors symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Postby ethelred » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:02 am

My dog had an MRI scan today and they found a tumor in his brain. They said he could have from 4 months to a year... or maybe longer. Either way, I HATE knowing when I'm going to lose someone. I would have much rather it happened without notice. I just found out and feel like constantly crying. I don't know how I'm going to cope the next few months knowing he could go anytime... My other dog is his best friend too and I don't know what she will do when he's gone... she couldn't stop crying all day today with him merely going to get a scan. It's so upsetting. Can anyone help?
ethelred

Postby ryszard86 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:11 am

The best thing you can do is give him alot of love and attention while he has his last few months feed him well take him for walks play alot of games with him and when he passes away you will have no regrets
ryszard86

Postby leod » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:17 am

Now is not the time to crumble. Now is the time to enjoy every second with your dogs.
You can crumble later. I know it's tough, we go through this everytime we have to make the decision to put one of our pets down. It never gets easier no matter how many years it's been or how many times we've had to do it. You have to grit your teeth and give them your best for the time they have left.
leod

Postby stevie » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:20 am

Now is not the time to crumble. Now is the time to enjoy every second with your dogs.
You can crumble later. I know it's tough, we go through this everytime we have to make the decision to put one of our pets down. It never gets easier no matter how many years it's been or how many times we've had to do it. You have to grit your teeth and give them your best for the time they have left.
play and do everything u can w/him. dont be sad cause that will influence your dog to be sad. and when he does pass....... adopt a new puppy. getting one from the shelter will make you feel better as you can save this one even if you couldnt save your other dog. puppies are funny and will make you laugh when you feel like crying. good luck and hope this helps!
P.S. remember the only way to get over a dog is to get a new one!!!
stevie

Postby mark » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:40 am

Hey, my heart goes out to you, you poor thing! I have two dogs that are inseperable and I can't imagine what I would feel like in your position! I am so sorry. All I can think to tell you is try to make his last months on Earth as comfortable as possible. Spend as much time with him as you can. Take lots of pictures, and try to remember him as he was. I know it will be hard, I think anyone who has dealt with lose knows that. I am so sorry. I know that some people keep a lock of hair so they can always remember them, maybe you'll consider doing that? As for your other dog, I know this sounds unfeeling, but it helps if you get another dog after he dies, to keep your other dog company. I'm not saying to replace him, just fill part of the void, you know what I mean?

I am sorry. My heart really does go out to you. I'm sure he'll go to doggie heaven. I hoped I helped.
mark

Postby octave » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:41 am

It's awful being human- we know too much sometimes.
The best lesson we can learn from a dog is to enjoy every day we have together, and not let the other things that loom ahead ruin that day.
You know now you have limited time- use it wisely. Giev yourself a little time to be upset, but then pick yourself up and do what you can to enjoy the company of the dog you love. He's still here.
octave

Postby avinoam » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:49 am

I totally know what you're going through.... When I was 12 I had a the most beautiful boder collie, and her name was Maggie. She was 14 years old, and I knew that she didnt have much longer, but she had survived a lot before, and I guess I kinda felt like she would live forever. But then one night in January she fell in our little pond and it froze over the lower half of her body. Half dead, she was dragged out and carried into the house by my dad. By some miracle she made it, but a week later we realized she couldnt walk. We took her to the vet and found out the best option would to put her down and end her misery. I begged my dad not to do it, but he had to. That night I remember going out to the barn to feed my animals and I just stood there and cried. Crying really helps. Let yourself cry, and just know that you'll pull through eventually. Find something to get your mind off him, play a sport, read, play a video game, it doesnt even matter.... Just realize that we all go though these things and it'll all be over soon... you're just gonna have to slowly get over him... it'll be hard, but in a while it wont hurt so much.. Hope I helped :)
avinoam

Return to Brain Tumors