Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

My dog sneezed some blood all over the place. What's wrong?

Anything relating to brain tumors symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Postby montae » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:33 pm

I have a male chocolate lab who's about to turn two in February. There's nothing wrong with him, he's extremely healthy, well muscled (as he is a hunting dog) and very lively. My dog tends to sneeze a lot when he's rolling around on his back, or occasionally if he's super excited, but last night he did something really weird. I glanced over at him after he did this really big sneeze, not really thinking anything, but then all of the sudden he got up, with a funny look on his face. One eye was squinted shut and the other was wide open, and his mouth was all contorted. He tried to take a step and then started sneezing all over the place. It sounded really painful and forceful, and his expression looked like he was in pain when he looked up at me. He walked into the kitchen, practically sneezing his face off with every step, and that's when I noticed the blood. He was spraying pretty decent sized splatters of blood all over the floor. It wasn't excessive, like he was bleeding his brain out or anything, but it was enough to make me worried. I put the dog outside and called my parents over, but they said it was nothing, just a bloody nose. To be honest, they're a little inconsiderate of our animals, though. I glanced back out and my dog seemed fine, like nothing had happened. He looked a little shaky, but was wagging his tail and busting on in like it had been a wonderful day. I gave him a treat to get the incident out of both of our minds.

But just a short while ago, I looked up the incident on Google. Another person had asked a similar question, but their dog was older, and it had been more blood. But the thing that worried me is that a few answers said it may be a cancer tumor, or something dangerous of the sort. My dog's not even two yet, and he's like my little furry brother, so I would hate for anything to happen to him. Is this sneezing okay?
montae

Postby chadburne » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:41 pm

TAlk to a vet. My dog once sneezed blood. She had a tumor and died a few weeks later. This is urgent.
chadburne

Postby amikam » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:49 pm

Definitely needs be checked by a vet and soon I hope.Dogs shouldn't bleed when sneezing.
amikam

Postby rae4 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:51 pm

have you heard of fox tails and do you have them where you live? The sneezing and blood is one of the signs of a fox tail in the nose and can be exceedingly dangerous if not removed. Take your boy to the vet in the morning.
rae4

Postby hearpere » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:58 pm

Blood is never okay. Take him to the vet to be sure.
hearpere

Postby jonni » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:08 am

Don't take any chances, take him to the vet! It could be something very serious, or it could be something as simple as him hitting his nose on something when thrashing around and scratching his back on the ground. Worrying about it won't solve it tonight, but pray for your beloved and get him to the vet ASAP!
jonni

Postby rang » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:12 am

My dog did that and it turned out it was her first symptom of sinus cancer.

She died within the year.

Good news is that with your dogs young age it could be a foreign body(like a foxtail) that has gotten up into her sinus cavity.

Take your dog into the vet and they will give tell you what course to follow.
rang

Postby farrel » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:20 am

I suppose being a goofy 2 year old male, he might have stuck his nose into something dumb and got it up his nose. I hope so.

We lost our wonderful Chocolate Lab almost 3 years ago, she was almost 10 years old. One of her symptoms was sneezing lots of blood and blood clots. She had tumors in the sinus and brain. The bleed was caused by a tumor breaking thru the sinus and bleeding into her nose. She had bleeding in her brain as well which caused her to quickly decline.

She was very obviously sick right away. She was gone in 9 days.

I have also heard of a fungus that infects the nose and can cause nasty problems, but have no more info unfortunately.
farrel

Postby arend » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:21 am

He could have gotten something (like a foxtail) in his nose--- My biggest guess is he had a sneeze and banged his nose on the ground, which caused his nose to bleed, releasing irritating fluid into his nasal passages and causing more sneezing. I have seen it happen numerous times to large dogs.

But, as others have suggested, there are quite a few things that could be wrong. If the bleeding does not stop soon he should visit a vet--- especially if you think there might be a foxtail in his nose.
arend

Return to Brain Tumors