Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: New Technology to Test For Cancer With a Single Drop of Blood

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

My dog has lymphoma is there anything i can try to do?

Discuss Lymphoma, Hodgkins Lymphoma, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma

Postby rodge » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:16 pm

I am trying to give her turmeric everyday with wet dog food some have suggested that dry dog food may be carcinogenic. She is fourteen so I know she is older but we would like to save her if anyone has any ideas.
rodge

Postby yuuto » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:23 pm

do not give her any carbohydrates at all so you will have to feed her meat as the carbs feed the lymphoma. i mixed bean sprouts through my dogs meat as well and you can also give your dog cottage cheese mixed with flax seed oil which is supposed to be helpful in these situations. one of my dobermans had the same illness and i also gave him casia tea capsules and my dobe lived another 9 months with no ill effects until the end. god bless.
yuuto

Postby brodrick » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:30 pm

do not give her any carbohydrates at all so you will have to feed her meat as the carbs feed the lymphoma. i mixed bean sprouts through my dogs meat as well and you can also give your dog cottage cheese mixed with flax seed oil which is supposed to be helpful in these situations. one of my dobermans had the same illness and i also gave him casia tea capsules and my dobe lived another 9 months with no ill effects until the end. god bless.
I'd go over to YahooGroups and do a search on 'dog lymphoma' to find a group there where you can talk to owners who are treating their dogs with this. If there is no direct group, try a 'dog handicapped' group. They would be your best source of info outside the vets.
brodrick

Postby chano » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:32 pm

talk to vet and ask if others had it
talk to people at dog places
google it
chano

Postby earie » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:34 pm

Her life expectancy is four to six weeks, so I would start thinking how and when to say goodbye to her. Fourteen is a good age for any dog.
earie

Postby martinus92 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:38 pm

I'm so sorry this is happening to you both.
At fourteen, she doesn't have a chance, and honestly, lymphoma is deadly pretty much no matter what.

Rather than doing flips and trying to fight it off with things that could in fact make her really uncomfortable, I would just make sure she is happy as she can be and as comfortable, and when she is about not to be, let her go in good time. Things like turmeric may fight cancer, but not enough to do anything but cause her diarrhea and the ensuing misery and dehydration.

If I thought there was anything that would truly make a difference, I would tell you to try- but the fact remains, at fourteen, dogs don't have much to fight with, and their systems are fragile - and if the lymphoma is evident, it has already invaded her internal organs. Please just keep her comfortable, and give her whatever she can eat and digest, without adding odd things. It just isn't worth it. Try and enjoy the time you have left, and be at peace. That is what she would want, and that is a dog's lesson in the end.
martinus92

Postby hayward98 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:46 pm

Chemo, but other than that................I would confide in my vet, or if you can't, find one that you can, and say you want your dog to have dignity and not to suffer, so it may be time to start to think about putting the doggie to sleep. I know you want your dog to live as long as possible, but you have to think about the comfort of your doggie. Does it pant a lot? That is a sign of pain. Does it go off its food? That is a sign of pain. When doggie doesn't enjoy the food anymore, it is definitely time to let go. Read Rainbow Bridge and believe it with all your heart, it will help. I am so sorry for you and your lovely best friend. Others have been there and care. Bless you and your dog!
hayward98

Return to Lymphoma