Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Genetic Testing For Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

My dog has been drooling a lot and coughing?

Lung Cancer discussions, another of the most common forms of cancer

Postby walden » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:33 am

She almost never drooled before. Now she's drooling a lot, it's thin and watery and dripping from the sides of her mouth. She's also been coughing; not excessively, but enough to make me worried. It's usually after she's been barking or while/after she eats (she eats fast), but sometimes it's for no reason that I can see. Her voice is also "hoarse" and sometimes when she tries to bark it's very quiet or no sound comes out at all, but she does bark a lot so I'm not sure if it's related or could just be that she strained herself.

She's 12 years old and in the past couple of days has been having issues urinating; straining a bit, and little urine comes out. She went to the vet yesterday, bloodwork and urinalysis were normal other than the urine being concentrated. She was also mildly anemic, but the vet didn't seem worried about that (her gums were pink and not pale) and gave me iron pills to give her. The vet said to keep an eye on her and make sure she's drinking enough, and she's drinking the same amount she always does. She's still eating as well. The vet said that it could be bladder cancer, so now I'm really worried.

She doesn't seem like she's in pain, but it's so hard to tell with her. She hasn't been very active for the past couple of years and sleeps a lot so there's no indication from that. I read on a couple sites that drooling can indicate pain, but don't know how true that is.

I think I'll wait a day, see what goes on with her urine and the coughing, and then go to the vet for x-rays if nothing improves. Does this sound like cancer? If it is bladder cancer, how long does that take to spread? Could the drooling and coughing mean that it's spread to her lungs? She's only had these symptoms for 2 days and before then was fine. It's like I want to go the vet and find out but at the same time I'm scared of what they'll tell me...
walden

Postby arledge » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:36 am

Guide_Line_Advice answers:
Hmm..this sounds very strange for a dog, especially with the coughing. Your dog, maybe be very ill or sick, to stay on the SAFE side, you should bring him/her to the vet ASAP.

Tips: Don't take a chance, better safe than sorry.
arledge

Postby weallere » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:39 am

Research BLOAT.
if this sounds like her, get to vet asap.
weallere

Return to Lung Cancer