Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: New Biomarker Discovered for Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

My dog has a lump/bump on her side..?

Melanoma and Skin Cancer Discussion

Postby aeccestane » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:24 pm

I was running my hands down the sides of my dog when I felt something strange. It's on her right side, in between her pelvis/hip area and her ribs, and it's about the size of a baseball. When she sits, you can still feel it, but it sort of moves with her body, like it felt like the lump/bump was squished down with her skin. However, when she is standing on 4 legs, and I feel the lump, it does not really feel like a ball so much as, let's say, a sort of hill. She did not have much of a reaction when I applied a little pressure to the bump, but I'm still worried. Could this be dangerous? I plan on checking it out with the vet, but I don't want to panic myself into thinking it's a tumor or cancer when really it's just a tissue defect and nothing to worry about. Please, let me know what this could possibly be. I have given you as much description as I can gather from my own observations.
aeccestane

Postby fagin » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:33 pm

Well it could be a skin growth problem,My friends dog has bumps all over her. It looks like she has cancer but its just to much skin growth,
Or it could be a tumor cancer even something she ate.
fagin

Postby peverell » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:59 pm

0f course, this could be serious. so i am glad you are going to the vet soon. it's always crazy how people ask questions about serious things and say they don't want to go to the vet !!
so, from my experience, a lump like you describe that moves with the skin may just be a cyst or abscess. if the lump was painful, hard, or seemed to be grown into the tissue/muscle, that would be more serious. on the pelvis or rib area, it isn't likely to be a breast cancer- animals can get that.
God Bless and good luck! hope this helps
peverell

Postby woolcott » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:01 pm

It sounds like a benign "fatty tumor."
woolcott

Return to Melanoma and Skin Cancer