Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

My Daughter Has Cancer And Wants To Be Treated With Others Her Age?

The latest news from Cancer Trials and Cancer Research around the world.

Postby Gall » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:19 pm

2 weeks ago my 16 year old daughter was diagnosed with ALL (acute lymphoblastic leukaemia) and she in an inpatient undergoing chemo. She is in an adult ward and everyone else there is a lot older then her. She says she really wants to be treated with other teens and she finds the adult hospital boring. How would I go about getting her transferred to a children's cancer center and is this a good idea?
Gall

Postby kinnard » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:09 pm

It?s not just a good idea that is where she should be. All children, teenagers and young adults with cancer should always be treated at a children?s hospital. They are not simply smaller versions of us. Treating them requires special training and everything and everyone at a children?s hospital is specifically for them. About 90% of cancer patients 10 years old and under are treated at these hospitals and the mortality rate has decreased proportionately. However, only 30% of teenagers are treated at these hospitals and the mortality rates have not had the same improvement.
kinnard

Postby zed » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:49 am

Your daughter's timely treatment is the only issue that is important.
Apparently, she has been diagnosed, prescribed a treatment plan, and commenced treatment at the present hospital.
Changing hospitals may mean changing oncologists, lost time, and potential mis-communications.
Discuss the possibility of a move with her oncologist, if it is important enough to your family.

In a way, your daughter is lucky to feel bored.
Many cancer patients do not feel well enough to experience such emotions.
It is difficult for a young person to go through this challenge.
Perhaps you can bring her a laptop computer, DVDs, books, cell phone, magazines, or other items to help pass the time.

Best wishes that your daughter does well with her treatment and makes a full recovery.
zed

Postby Landers » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:07 am

Not a bad idea at all,
Landers

Postby Gikhrist » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:15 pm

I don't know where the other copy of this question went, but you had some good answers, and the one from Panda was great.
You need to try and get her in a children's ward, talk to her oncologist about this asap.
Gikhrist

Postby Shizhee » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:51 am

Make an inquiry with the referring doctor.
The happier she is the better she will respond to treatment.
Good luck & best wishes.
Shizhee

Postby halton8 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:59 am

Prayer can be helpful. A cancer patient at my church was recently healed of a multi-site, later stage cancer by prayer. Know that God can help you live a better life if you want Him to help you. You can have a personal relationship with God by saying the prayer below. God is our Creator, all-knowing, all-powerful, eternal, holy, love. God loves us and sent us His Son, Jesus Christ, so we can go to heaven if we know and follow Him. Forever means without end -- time on and on without death. Forever is what happens after we die. Either we go to heaven and be with God forever, or we go to hell which is very bad and painful forever. The good people who are saved believers in Jesus Christ go to heaven. The bad people go to hell. We need to know and follow God in this world to get to heaven in the next world. We follow God by loving and obeying Him and loving others for Him. Jesus Christ, God's Son, is our bridge to God. Jesus died on the cross to cancel our sins. We need to accept Jesus into our life as our Lord and Savior forever to receive God's blessing and forgiveness plus go to heaven to be with God forever after we die. This is about being a born-again Christian. Faith in God is a gift from God. You can pray for faith in God. Just speak out and ask God for the faith to believe in Him and to follow Him. Some people find faith in God when they realize the beauty in the world is made by God. Evolution can't explain the world's natural beauty, for example, the parks in the world, animals, flowers, peacocks, sunsets, butterflies, rainbows, etc. After you have your faith on, you can pray a sinner's prayer to be a born-again Christian. This prayer is very important and should be said with a sincere heart and faith in God. This is the prayer: "Dear God, I know that I am a sinner and that Jesus Christ is the sacrifice for our sins. I have done the following sins (state these out) and I pray to discontinue these sins. I pray to receive Jesus Christ into my life as my Lord and Savior forever. In Jesus' name, amen." I'm Lutheran and I like the Baptist churches too. You could check out a Christian church and also see about their weekly Bible study group as a good way to learn about God's will for your life. You can pray to God about your daily life and have a Christian church pray for you.
halton8

Return to Cancer News and Clinical Trials