Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

My Dad Won't Quit Smoking?

Lung Cancer discussions, another of the most common forms of cancer

Postby chadburn46 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:29 am

I'm 16 and my dad has been smoking for 20 years. He smokes around 5 cigarettes per day and I'm really worried about him. I love him so much and I just don't want him to get lung cancer or any related diseases. I've informed him about the consequences and I yelled at him but he still smokes! Why can't he just realize that our family NEEDS him?!? Is it a good idea if I smoke a cigarette every time he smokes one? This way he'll notice that he's hurting me and he'll stop smoking himself?
chadburn46

Postby Ally » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:32 am

Unfortunately until he is ready...I mean really ready to quit, he won't.

All the pills, patches and gums will not work if he is not ready to do it mentally.
Ally

Postby Cathmore » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:35 am

Trust me, you can't get him too quit. He is ADDICTED for life.
Cathmore

Postby Barnebas » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:39 am

As someone who does smoke, I'll speak on that level. He's not going to quit as pointed out until he's ready to quit. It maybe, his one guilty pleasure he has. Also the more you try to pressure him into quitting, the more he's going to resist. Such tactics very rarely ever work. Quitting is far harder than many realize, or claim that it's easy to do. Quitting smoking is actually more difficult to do, than it is for an alcoholic to quit drinking. Here I am speaking from firsthand experience, not second hand, or from here say.

Your idea of taking up smoking to work as a counter, and to try to get him to stop will NOT work. As someone who smokes, please don't start. You risk becoming hooked on smoking as well, if you start smoking. Then come the day you decide to quit, you'll find out how hard it is.

While I smoke, my daughter who would love to have me stop knows that riding my case isn't going to work, and would tell you much the same thing, as I stated above. No one who smokes can be forced to quit. Trying to force them to quit will not only not work, but they will find ways to smoke regardless of any measures you take to try to force them to stop. I've seen it done, and seen it fail more times than I can remember. It was also tried with my dad before he quit on his own decision.
Barnebas

Postby frika74 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:54 am

Congrats for your dad!!! I'm sure you have a picture of just the two of you right? So go down to a Hallmark store or to the mall, Get that photo put in a frame and they have these cute teddy bears and it holds the frame in it's paws and you get to choose whatever you want written on the teddy bears shirt. Don't listen to what all these fools are saying about buying him cigarettes or whatever. That's just mean and not nice. Also, why don't you two just go out to eat go out bowling spend some great quality time together that's priceless!!!
frika74

Postby Willmar » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:03 am

I understand your concern for you dad. My father smoked for over 30 years when I was younger, however he did quit smoking over 10 years ago and has not had one since. What you need to understand is there is very little you can to get him to stop smoking, it is up to him. Nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs on the planet and quitting can be one of the hardest things to do, ever. He know smoking is harmful and he may get cancer from it, all smokers know this. The worst thing you can do is to start smoking yourself and get trapped in the same addiction his has. This might get him to think that he should quit, but like I said, he knows already.

If you want him to stop smoking try this: write a little note everyday for him about how much you love him and several reasons he should quit. Like: "I love you and so will your grandkids someday", or "I hope you are around to see me get married", "we need you, why don't you stick around forever" don't mention smoking, he knows what you mean.

If that doesn't work, try talking to him about electronic cigarettes. They have no smoke or tar, but they do have the nicotine he is addicted to. They are not 100% safe, but they have thousands of less chemicals. I quit smoking using these and they have saved me from the horrors of smoking.

Good luck
Willmar

Postby airleas » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:05 am

Well If you care about him tell him he needs to stop and you care about him

It's hard to stop smoking
airleas

Return to Lung Cancer