Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

My Dad Has Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer, Will I Know When The End Is Near? What Do I Look For?

Pancreatic Cancer Discussions

My Dad Has Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer, Will I Know When The End Is Near? What Do I Look For?

Postby Oakden » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:00 pm

he has already lost too much weight, he is tired all the time, he is in pain and i want to know if he will get sick and be hospitalized for health problems or will he just go to sleep and not wake up? he was given 6months, 3 months ago and he has stopped chemo because of the weight loss. please give me statistics. will he die while driving his car or mowing the grass?
Oakden

Postby Crosley » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:02 pm

First I'm so sorry your dad is so ill.
I lost my father 2 years ago from the same thing.
My dad was 83 though, and no way could drive or mow the grass the last 6 months of his life.
We watched him lose so much weight and he wanted to die at home, so we had a hospital bed put in my mom and dads bedroom which helped alot, We contacted Hospice for the last 8 weeks or so, my mom was trying to do it all.
He got very sick, and tough to eat and drink, finally at the end, we just let him do or have any food, or not have food, his choice He was onheavy drugs, but at the end, its like they tell you to start Morphine and it makes him sleep, and within 3 days he died in his sleep.
It was so much better than having him in a nursing home, and all 7 kid were there to help mom and spend as much time with him as we could.
Start talking to him as much as you can, tell him you love him, whatever you never said before, say it now.
Prayers and blessings to y ou and you family.
Mary
Crosley

Postby Connal » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:05 pm

My husband just passed away 2 months ago from pancreases cancer. He hadn't been feeling well all summer. We were to the doctor a couple day's before we left. We went to Portland to spend time with our daughter on Nov 16, 2013. The next day he had chest pains so we took him to the hospital. He was having A fib. his heart was beating 162 beats a min. The doctors worked 3 day's and couldn't get it down. He was complaining about lower stomach pain, so they did a CT scan. The next day they told us he had stage 4 pancreatic cancer & it had spread to his spleen & adrenal gland. they said he had 3 to 6 months. then change it to 1 to 3 months. We took his home to my daughters. He wasn't eating & was loosing more weight. He went down hill fast. We gave him pain meds to help with the pain. The last few day's were not good. We never left his side. He would be freezing one minute & wringing wet the next. His mind was good til the last couple day. We lost him in 9 day's after we found out he had cancer.Don't wait to long to call Hospice they are wonderful. The books they gave us told us how things would go. He was text book. He also was a diabetic for two years. The doctor said that he could have had cancer then. Talk to him & tell him often how much you love him. He will hear you. My husband would squeeze my hand even on the last day. I will pray for your dad & your family.
Connal

Postby Wu » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:06 pm

I'm not sure whether he will die driving or mowing the grass. These things are not known. All I do know is that he will regain his appetite and zest for life and want to be around as many people as possible in the week of his death. Nobody can tell you if he will be sick/hospitalized or will just die peacefully in his sleep. It is all in God's Hands now.
Wu

Postby lysander » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:08 pm

I am so sorry to hear that you, and your Dad, are going through this.
:(

Usually people with this type of cancer do not "die suddenly" like while driving or mowing the grass.
Most of the time, people get thinner, weaker, and sleepier; when it is close to his death he will probably stay in bed for the days/weeks immediately before it, and will probably eat little to nothing, and will probably be very sleepy or nearly unconscious; after doing that for a few days, he may become completely unresponsive and unable to wake up, with very slow (3-6 breaths/minute) or very fast breathing (like panting), he may or may not throw up, he may be very "yellow" in skin color as pancreatic cancer can also spread to or affect the liver.
He will probably just "slip away" after being asleep or unconscious like this.

If he has stopped chemo and has stage 4 cancer, it sounds like he may be eligible for Hospice care, which is provided in the home, at a hospital, or in a hospice unit, depending on where the person lives and what they need.
Hospice is usually covered by insurance or medicaid or medicare, and helps to make sure that the person stays comfortable as they approach dying, but also helps the person AND FAMILY to cope with and prepare for what's happening, and answer questions like you bring up.

Hope this helps, please consider researching hospice in your phone book or ask your dad to ask his doctor about it.
You can find more info about Hospice here:http://www.caringinfo.org/livingwithanil...

or google hospice.
lysander

Postby Castel » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:10 pm

My Dad Has Pancreatic Cancer
Castel

Postby Curr » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:15 pm

he has already lost too much weight, he is tired all the time, he is in pain and i want to know if he will get sick and be hospitalized for health problems or will he just go to sleep and not wake up? he was given 6months, 3 months ago and he has stopped chemo because of the weight loss. please give me statistics. will he die while driving his car or mowing the grass?
Curr

Postby Hartley » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:26 pm

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axO3Z

I am sorry about your grandmother. I was lucky enough to have mine for 35 years. It has been several years now and I still miss her very much. Of course no one is able to predict when someone will die and yes, every person is an individual. There are also patient?s who surprise us and live far longer than expected. However, I believe you asked this questin, because you want to know and you did ask to not to be misled. We have keep information on everyone diagnosed with cancer for 40 years and this is what our statistics are based on. Patients with stage 4 pancreatic cancer have a median survival of 2-6 months. Meaning 2-6 months after being diagnosed with stage 4 disease half the patients are alive. Patients with a better performance status live the longest. It appears your grandmother is in this group. At this point treatment is to prolong her life with as little symptoms as possible. Unfortunately, we already know we cannot manage or control pancratic cancer. Live for today and enjoy every moment together.
Hartley

Postby Berton » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:29 pm

Don't look for the end.Look at now and send as much time with him as you can.
Berton

Return to Pancreatic Cancer