Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

My Cat Has Inflamed Kidney's

Kidney Cancer Discussions

Postby Elrod » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:23 am

How can you tell if your cat is in pain when she has both inflamed Kidney's? She's eating alittle and drinking but she looks very lethargic. I don't want her to be in pain.

ANSWER: Randi,

My eldest resident cat has some ongoing kidney issues since she became ill as a result of eating tainted cat food during the Menu Foods pet food recall a few years ago so I can offer some of my experience as a way of helping you and your cat out, but first I need to have a clearer picture of what exactly is happening, what's been done already in terms of testing and treatment and what the diagnosis is according to your vet if there is a working diagnosis at this point.

What makes you think that your cat's kidneys are inflamed? Has she had a kidney issue diagnosed by your vet? If you have any reason to believe that your kitty has a kidney problem and she hasn't seen a vet yet it's important to get her checked out ASAP because some kidney issues can cause permanent and/or potentially life threatening complications for cats. If this hasn't been done already I'd suggest that your cat has a urine sample sent off to the lab and cultured for bacteria as well as a full pre-anesthetic blood profile. If your cat is dehydrated the veterinarian may recommend IV or subcutaneous fluids as an initial step to flush out any toxins from her kidneys.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

We took her to the vet today and both Kidney's are inflamed. She has a slight fever and they took blood. She wasn't dehydrated. We'll have the results tomorrow. If nothing from the blood results reveal anything, they suggest an ultrasound which we have scheduled already. What indication to us would we know that she is in pain? Does your eldest cat show signs of being in pain?

Thank you :-)
Elrod

Postby Advent » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:10 am

Randi,

Sometimes cats with kidney ailments will have a hunched over appearance. My eldest cat actually starting vomiting and behaving oddly - her eyes were very dilated and she'd jump as though frightened or painful while hissing. The vet told us that she might have had a headache, but kitties with renal issues shouldn't be given pain meds if at all possible because they can be tough on the kidneys if they're damaged. For the most part my cat hasn't been painful, she seemed like she might have been in pain the day before she was diagnosed, but other than that she's been good. What possibilities has your vet discussed with you in terms of the possible reasons for the kitty's kidneys to be inflamed?
Advent

Postby Skeggr » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:19 pm

How can you tell if your cat is in pain when she has both inflamed Kidney's? She's eating alittle and drinking but she looks very lethargic. I don't want her to be in pain.

ANSWER: Randi,

My eldest resident cat has some ongoing kidney issues since she became ill as a result of eating tainted cat food during the Menu Foods pet food recall a few years ago so I can offer some of my experience as a way of helping you and your cat out, but first I need to have a clearer picture of what exactly is happening, what's been done already in terms of testing and treatment and what the diagnosis is according to your vet if there is a working diagnosis at this point.

What makes you think that your cat's kidneys are inflamed? Has she had a kidney issue diagnosed by your vet? If you have any reason to believe that your kitty has a kidney problem and she hasn't seen a vet yet it's important to get her checked out ASAP because some kidney issues can cause permanent and/or potentially life threatening complications for cats. If this hasn't been done already I'd suggest that your cat has a urine sample sent off to the lab and cultured for bacteria as well as a full pre-anesthetic blood profile. If your cat is dehydrated the veterinarian may recommend IV or subcutaneous fluids as an initial step to flush out any toxins from her kidneys.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

We took her to the vet today and both Kidney's are inflamed. She has a slight fever and they took blood. She wasn't dehydrated. We'll have the results tomorrow. If nothing from the blood results reveal anything, they suggest an ultrasound which we have scheduled already. What indication to us would we know that she is in pain? Does your eldest cat show signs of being in pain?

Thank you :-)
Skeggr

Return to Kidney Cancer