Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

My Cat Had Bladder Stones And A Urinary Tract Infection About A Year Ago.

All discussions relating to bladder cancer symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Postby Tewdwr » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:49 am

Since then, both my cats have been eating Bladder SO prescription food. I am wondering if there is any concern with them eating this food for an extended period of time? Also, this is very expensive and I am wondering if there is a cheaper option out there?
Tewdwr

Postby Evin » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:51 am

and then you would avoid foods high in ash, feed wet instead of dry, and so on. You might even end up cooking for them-a holisitic vet would be able to give you recipes. you can also get special litter that would tell you if there were any issues going on.    If they are male they will probably meed to be careful all their lives, and avoid fish. If female they have a wider tract so it should not be so much of an issue. Check with your vet!
Evin

Postby Barnhardo » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:56 am

they are supposed to be special diets for a short time only, til the problem clears  and then you would avoid foods high in ash, feed wet instead of dry, and so on. You might even end up cooking for them-a holisitic vet would be able to give you recipes. you can also get special litter that would tell you if there were any issues going on.    If they are male they will probably meed to be careful all their lives, and avoid fish. If female they have a wider tract so it should not be so much of an issue. Check with your vet! wildaboutbooks44 58 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Barnhardo

Postby Axton » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:35 am

Bladder stones are very painful and can cause death in cats.  This forum is definately NOT the place to obtain this advice.  Seek out the profesional and ask your vet.  If htis hapened a year ago,, it's time for a check up anyway.   PS - the cat that did not have the bladder stones may not need this special and expensive food.  If you feed them separately, you could select a food suitable to keeping them healthy for a long time.
Axton

Postby yasuo » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:30 am

First of all, have this conversation with your VET. That said, I have a dog with repeated bladder stones. The expensive food is a heck of a lot cheaper than ultrasounds, surgery and so on.
yasuo

Postby Bassett » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:28 am

unixcorn said: 1 First of all, have this conversation with your VET. That said, I have a dog with repeated bladder stones. The expensive food is a heck of a lot cheaper than ultrasounds, surgery and so on. 59 months ago
Bassett

Postby Friedrick » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:56 pm

Obviously, this is a conversation to have with my vet; however, I wanted to gather opinions from other people prior to meeting with the vet. I am not 100% convinced my vet knows exactly what they are doing and have been contemplating changing vets.
Friedrick

Postby corbyn » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:54 pm

angrycanadian said: 3 Hi, My cats have been on Hill's c/d for urinary tract problems for over a year now and they are doing great. I have a friend who's cat was on prescription urinary food for the last 9 years of her life and she did well on it. I had concerns at first too(the ingredients do not look great), but it has done what it supposed to do so they are staying on it. I did try to switch mine off for awhile and their crystals came right back. There are some people out there who act like it is animal abuse to not have them on grain free or raw food, but in my cats case those are what *caused* their urinary tract issues to begin with. I have also connected with many people online who had the same problem with those foods and crystals(Nature's Variety, Natural Balance, Merrick, etc...). I also agree with unixcorn that so far for us, the prescription food has saved us so much in vet bills that it is worth the cost. If you are not comfortable with your vet though, you should definitely get a second opinion. Most vets have little to no education when it comes to nutrition. It is true that they do get kickbacks from the prescription food companies from selling it, but according to a vet friend of mine the kickbacks are very minimal, so people should not be concerned they are being sold something just so the vets can make a profit. Like I said though, the food has been a godsend for my family whether the vet sells it or not. 59 months ago
corbyn

Postby Wareine » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:06 pm

Hi, My cats have been on Hill's c/d for urinary tract problems for over a year now and they are doing great. I have a friend who's cat was on prescription urinary food for the last 9 years of her life and she did well on it. I had concerns at first too(the ingredients do not look great), but it has done what it supposed to do so they are staying on it. I did try to switch mine off for awhile and their crystals came right back. There are some people out there who act like it is animal abuse to not have them on grain free or raw food, but in my cats case those are what *caused* their urinary tract issues to begin with. I have also connected with many people online who had the same problem with those foods and crystals(Nature's Variety, Natural Balance, Merrick, etc...). I also agree with unixcorn that so far for us, the prescription food has saved us so much in vet bills that it is worth the cost. If you are not comfortable with your vet though, you should definitely get a second opinion. Most vets have little to no education when it comes to nutrition. It is true that they do get kickbacks from the prescription food companies from selling it, but according to a vet friend of mine the kickbacks are very minimal, so people should not be concerned they are being sold something just so the vets can make a profit. Like I said though, the food has been a godsend for my family whether the vet sells it or not.
Wareine

Postby cystenian » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:03 pm

ask your vet Bladder stones are very painful and can cause death in cats.  This forum is definately NOT the place to obtain this advice.  Seek out the profesional and ask your vet.  If htis hapened a year ago,, it's time for a check up anyway.   PS - the cat that did not have the bladder stones may not need this special and expensive food.  If you feed them separately, you could select a food suitable to keeping them healthy for a long time. pool3939 59 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
cystenian

Next

Return to Bladder Cancer