Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

My 72 year old mom seemed fine, then boom, diagnosed with Stage IV adenocarcinoma.?

Discuss Colorectal cancers

My 72 year old mom seemed fine, then boom, diagnosed with Stage IV adenocarcinoma.?

Postby haye » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:07 am

She was feeling faint and hadn't eaten much lately. They pumped her with fluids and potassium and she felt great. Then boom, same symptoms. During the course of a week she was in Urgent Care 2x. Three weeks later, they did an ultrasound on her liver, then a CAT scan... found cancer. They believe it originated in the colon and broke thru the tissues and traveled to her liver. They will do a colonoscopy tomorrow to find out how bad it is in there....

She lives out of state or I'd go with her... but in the meantime, can you tell me if once cancer has invaded your liver, are you pretty much going to die soon? I mean, if it's traveled to her liver, is it a given it's in her blood stream / lymph nodes?

I am so sad and so scared to be losing my beautiful mother.
haye

Postby arlis100 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:08 am

"IF" this is colon adenocarcinoma spread to the liver, it is not a curable disease. No doctor can predict exactly how much time a person has months in advance. These people usually do not live for years. I would go and be with her as much as possible for you over the next 6 -12 months. It becomes obvious to everyone when the end is near. Most people who die with adenocarcinoma metastatic to the liver are not awake and responsive at the end. The key will be to make the most of each day, week, and month - "IF" the diagnosis is correct.
arlis100

Postby brothaigh48 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:14 am

dont be scared, the only thing you have to fear is fear itself.

become a researcher, and look up bob beck protocol, read his paper in its entirety
brothaigh48

Postby richardo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:16 am

What are you waiting for? Do what you need to do for your mother, now, before it's too late.
richardo

Postby kiba » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:29 am

What are you waiting for? Do what you need to do for your mother, now, before it's too late.
There is hope still. I'm in stage III adenocarcinoma at age 46, and I'm going to do everything it takes to survive. At stage III there is an average 5 year survival rate of 64%. Check at WebMd.com for more information on stage IV, but there are still pretty good odds, compared to other types of cancer. When I found out, my husband talked with other people he worked with. His boss's brother had been diagnosed with stage IV also, and it had metasthesized too, like your mother's. It had been over 5 years ago, and he was still alive. Be there for your mom, and keep her spirits up, but hold out hope.
kiba

Postby dywel » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:33 am

Based upon your description, your Mom has stage 4 colon cancer with metastasis to the liver. Chemotherapy and radiation may slow down her cancer's growth or put it into temporary remission, but her long term outlook is of great concern.

Cancers of the abdomen are silent threats that are difficult to detect in their earliest stages. Ovarian, pancreatic, colon, kidney, and liver cancers seldom present significant symptoms when they initially develop.

You need to stay calm and patiently allow the diagnostic process to unfold. Your Mom's oncologist will offer her a treatment plan and discuss her prognosis. Best wishes to you all.
dywel

Return to Colon Cancer